Saturday, February 5, 2011

Yesterday was much rougher than I thought it would be. Chris texted me all through the day telling me how hard saying "goodbye" was. Chris is a very loyal employee. He loves his job and the people he works with. He loves knowing what's going on in the company, especially statistics. He came home a lot and would tell me how much better Verizon was and how they are everywhere. He yells at other companies cell phone commercials on TV, and tells us all about the miss information they are giving. We can't go anywhere without Chris talking to someone about their phone (even on the cruise we took last year!) He can be found helping someone in the hospital with their phone (especially nurses and other chemo patients/family members). He would show them features that they either didn't know they had or didn't know how to use (lots of us don't read the instruction manual - hee, hee) or which phone they should buy. When Chris was having his port put in he and the doctor talked phones during the whole procedure (most people are knocked out:) His enthusiasm has of course rubbed off on the rest of us. He also enjoys solving problems/making things run smoother. Always looking out for the customer and employee. This morning Katie showed me how she could make a V with her thumb and pointer finger. She said it was for Verizon (the check mark). It will be hard for him not knowing what is going on in the company.
Chris seemed so sad that I thought that our family would meet him at Verizon after work to help him with his stuff. No one is allowed inside of the building except employees, so I had are friend Nate (from the cruise) help me with my plan. I parked the car in front of Verizon and we all got out. I positioned my camera and camcorder ready for when he came out. I'm standing there when a large security guard comes up to me and asks "What's up?" I tell him that it is my husbands last day of work and we are here to support him. he asks "Is he moving up? Going out?" (I'm thinking in a way "yes") I told him that my husband was dieing of cancer. He swore, then said sorry. He reminded me that I'm not suppose to take pictures of the building but as long as I didn't post them on the web then he'd let me do it. (sorry, you'll have to come over to see the pictures:) During that time Nate came out carrying Chris' personal items and a gift from Verizon. Chris came out a little bit later - later we would find out that he was talking to another security guard who was not happy with me. He was telling her that I was his wife and that it was his last day and that he was "going home to die." Told ya, we love to shock people:) She told him that he had better be lieing to her. Nate would tell us later when he went back into work that she was crying. I think she was crying because of the beautiful moment that she saw outside the building. As Chris walked out of the building the children ran to him with their arms wide open and they all embraced. I have it on video and will watch it many, many times. It was an amazing sight. There is no way you could have seen it and not cried. Verizon has been such a part of our life for seven years. They have been so good to us that I want to always have those memories. I video taped Chris walking to his car, driving in front of building and waving "good bye" and then exiting the parking lot. As I'm filming Katie can be heard in the back ground yelling "bye, bye Verizon I love you" then she says "Is daddy going to die now?" (all on video) I turned off the camera and told her "no, not yet." It hurts to close this chapter in our lives. If you didn't love your job than this would have been a blessing, but for Chris it hurts. Now we begin another chapter - "Chris bugging Ricki:)" He already has plans for us. I guess he didn't get the memo that says "Chris' to do list" I plan on having him help me in the kids classrooms (I work Tues and Thurs) and babysitting Katie so that I can run errands alone, or he and Katie can come along. Always easier to handle a four year old when there are two adults hee, hee.
I cancelled hospice yesterday because Chris decided that it was his last day so I didn't want to add another thing onto him. Hospice will come to our home Tuesday instead.
Ryan's Eagle project has been approved!! The project that he picked is helping the Huntsman Cancer Institute (where Chris goes). We will be collecting items for the bags that they give newly diagnosed patients. The bag includes: chapstick, lotion, puzzle books, water bottle, card game and a fleece blanket, all in a fabric grocery bag. We will also be collecting soda and individually packaged snack foods (chips, oreo cookies, gold fish etc.). By the end of the month they usually run out of these items. If you are interested in donating items or money we would love it. More details as to dates of collection soon coming. Ryan is having a meeting today to delegate responsibilities to his fellow scout friends:)
All I can say is "What a journey!!"
Love ya, Ricki

5 comments:

Hallock family said...

I feel for ya and love you guys so much. Keep us posted on things and if it is possible lots of prayers we are going to try and just pay a visit before he goes to be with Christ. I think it would be wonderful for my children to meet the real Mr T one of my favorite cousins. I am glad that he has had such a wonderful place to work. That is such a wonderful blessing.

Love you so much
Jennie Hallock (Wach)

Marla said...

If Ryan needs anything for his Eagle project let me know. I'm handy with a sewing machine and would be happy to donate time/supplies/creativity if needed.

Thank you for these constant updates. I'm sure it's not easy to relive the day to day goings on in text after you've had to live through it once but maybe it's cathartic in a way to get it all out.

Love you,
Marla

Wanda Jean Wach said...

I remember my last day of work when I retired - 1998 - but I just about skipped out the door as I was so glad to be retiring. Quite the opposite for our Chris. It will take him awhile to unwind from that last day. How neat you could be there as a surprise to him, and to get a video of it. Very touching comments. Fun to hear of Katie Bug's cute quotes, and also to know that Ryan's Eagle project has been approved...neat, neat project. We have two grandsons with Eagle projects in process, so this will be a bumper crop year of Wach Eagles--woo hoo!!

Kristi said...

Seriously... I can't ever read any of your posts without bawling. Dang! It's amazing how you've documented this entire journey. Everyone will be sooo grateful... Most especially CHRIS! I love ya Ricki & Chris! Hope Meg is doing okay. You're all in our prayers!

Dad and Mom said...

Sorry I missed you at work, Chris. I had to go home - was sick. My email is bdshart@comcast.net. Drop me a line as you can. Brian Hart