Thursday, June 4, 2009

We are back from vacation to Disney World. We appreciate all the support given to our family to help us make memories, thank you!
It rained and rained and rained on us but we still had a great time, we will try and post some pictures later. Don't be surprised if you see we are all wearing rain ponchos in the pictures :)

Update on Chris:
June 2nd I had a port placed under my skin on the right breast. It is a small triangular shaped port that is connected directly to the jugular vein through a tube under the skin. The port allows the chemotherapy to be plugged in each week without having to find a vein in my hands or arms. They basically push the needle through the skin and into a plastic stopper in the skin and send in the juice or draw blood.
June 3rd we went for the first chemo treatment but found at that time I would be going in every other week and there were conflicts on each of the next 3 treatment days with scout camps and a small trip to Yellowstone we are taking with a family from down the street. So we are going to start Chemotherapy on the 10th, then the every other week thing works.
Some of the details of the Chemo:
There are 3 different drugs that will be used. Two will be given in a drip for 2 hours on the day and the third will be slowly administered via a pump for 48 hours. This means that I will have to return to the hospital on Fridays to have the pump removed and the port flushed. The hospital would not teach me how to do it on my own because they fear infection. The jugular vein connects directly to the superior vena cava that connects directly to the heart. Infection risks are very high with the port being so close to the heart, so they worry.
Some of the side affects include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and a cold sensation that makes it so I can't drink cold drinks or touch cold things for 3 to 7 days (really strange huh!). The plan is to go roughly 6 months of every other week, wish me luck.
Thank you all for checking in on me, my health is coming along...just hope the chemo does not set me back too far. I sure would like to get to a point where I can romp around a bit.
Chris & Family

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

With the cold sensitivity it's a good thing you're doing this during the summer. Not as much cold stuff around! Glad to hear you guys had fun, even if it was a little wet. Hopefully that kept the crowds smaller. We'll see you soon!

~Marla

Aunt Wanda said...

Thank you for this update on the chemo treatment schedule. Cousin Pam had a Porta-cath inserted in her chest to administer the morphine and then the Valium I injected into that site the last 3 weeks of her life. It really helped her to rest better. The Porta-cath system was great..no more having to poke her to draw blood, etc. These Porta-caths are medical marvels. Chris, I wish that you could feel better so that you can romp around a bit more. However, I am amazed that you spent 2 weeks at Disneyland and are now going to Yellowstone. You are a trooper!

Aunt Wanda Wach said...

I remember our one and only trip to Disneyworld years ago. It rained one day, too. We were with Uncle Larry and Aunt Jean. We bught the yellow Mickey Mouse ponchos and I still have ours to this day! I would like to go again and then take a Disney Cruise also. That would be a neat trip. So glad you were able to take your family and build such "memories". xoxoxoxo

Unknown said...

prayers are with you and the family...
Miss you all very much.

Nihan & Chuck