Friday, June 26, 2009

We spoke with Dr. Whizenant, today, before Chris had his pump removed.
He wanted to see how Chris was doing with the chemo. He asked Chris questions about the cold sensations – Chris said that it lasted last time about four days. Again we were told that if he couldn’t button his shirt, or hold a cup, that we are to call right away. Dr. Whizenant has a patient that finished this type of chemo nine months ago, and he still hasn’t recovered from the cold sensation (yikes). We only have 10 more to go. Wednesday Chris got a bad headache while he was doing his chemo, so the nurse gave him an ibuprofen and she wanted him to drink a little Coke (Coke is veerrry hard on Chris, he doesn’t drink it anymore). We couldn’t find any warm Coke, so we had to wrap it up in warm blankets so Chris could drink it. We didn’t get it as warm as we would have liked it though. Chris said it hurt going down. Poor guy. I went and saw a dietician today after Chris’ doctor appointment so that I could see what I can do to make sure he has the strength he needs. I learned a lllllooootttt. Talk about feeling overwhelmed! I have a lot of information to go through, but I’m excited to try all the things I learned on my family. Some things I will have to “sneak” into Chris’ food, but not into everyone else’s. My job is to maintain Chris’ weight, not increase the rest of the family’s weight.:) Hopefully he won’t be able to taste all of the extra powdered milk in his food. The dietician also suggested eating all day, not three large meals. So starting Sunday night I will pack Chris a bunch of sandwich baggies full of different items for example cucumber slices, carrots, peanuts, a banana and whatever else I come up with. He will stay strong whether he likes it or not. Love, Ricki

3 comments:

Colette said...

Just wanted to let you know I've been reading all of your updates and think you are amazing. Good luck as you guys continue to navigate through Chris's treatment. We are thinking about you!! :)

David said...

Good for you, fatten him up! Glad the first round of chemo went ok, sorry he's feeling cold from it.

Aunt Wanda said...

I am just amazed at how you and Chirs just keep on trucking. He is so lucky to have such a supportive, loving wife who studies and understands what needs to be done to keep him going. I am glad this first round of chemo is over. I was amazed to read about how he was able to go to Zion's Park as a Scoutmaster...what a trooper. So sad about Ryan's awful accident there, though. I hope his jaw wasn't broken.