Friday, October 14, 2011

Chris had chemo yesterday. Weight again stayed the same. White blood cell count 2.7 - that's still ok but blood cell count going up also means that your body is trying to fight something. ahhh. The nurse finally got the IV in on the third try but after just one bag (he gets five today) his vein decided to close. Chris was in a TON of pain. He has a very high pain tolerance so it must have been just awful. It was hard watching him. They took the needle out and found another vein. A smaller vein that we monitored closely and Chris kept a warm rice pack on his arm the whole time to keep it open. He slept the whole time. My dad came at 12:30 and stayed with Chris, took him to eat and then home so that I could help at the middle school. When I got home he was resting. He told me that "he wished he hadn't done chemo today." He was very sick all night (I can hear him throwing up right now), he is using a wet washcloth on his forehead and drinking a lot (one of the medicines gives you dry mouth).
So glad we had SEP's for Katie and Jacob yesterday so that he could attend. I'm sure other parents think I'm crazy taking pictures of the kids with their teacher and Chris but I want the kids to remember how important they were to him - that he came to everything even if he wasn't feeling well. Chris bought them books at the book fair for doing well in school:)
Jacob came and helped me with the teacher dinner. I had him place the bread sticks in the oven to keep them warm and he burned his arm on the top of the oven!! My poor boy. It still looks bad. He was a big help.
Yesterday, Tay and I did the fun run at the middle school it was fun but crazy - 1400 kids walking/running a mile and a half through the neighborhood. The kids did a great job. We had three policeman at different locations, lots of teachers and parents and a school bus all helping contain the kids:):)
Later I had Rye drive me to do my errands. He did a good job I just wish i would stop holding onto the door handle so hard - it's not going to save me:) Tay went to Civil Air Patrol for the first time alone. Tomorrow we will go and get his uniform - Blues - just like they wear in the Air Force.
Glad it's Friday. The next couple of weeks will be much slower. I would love to sit down:) Saturday, we have a primary activity, and get Tay's uniform. Sunday, are friends are blessing their baby (hopefully Chris will be well enough to attend). Monday, orchestra, FHE, and I work in Katie's classroom. Tuesday, Jacob scouts and Rye goes driving with his driving instructor (Ahhhh). Wednesday, orchestra, scouts for Tay and Rye and early out day for Jacob and Katie and. . .. we go off track Yeah!!! I say it half happy - I still have a high schooler and middle schooler that I have to get up for school. But, I will make every attempt to get back in bed after I get them out the door:) No school Thursday or Friday for anyone:) Next Frid, Sat and Sunday are parents weekend at BYU. I bought us tickets to the BYU vs Idaho football game. Tay keeps saying he's "wearing his U of U shirt" to the game. ha, ha that's what he thinks:)
"The Lord does not always heal the sick, nor save those in hazardous zones. He does not always relieve suffering and distress, for even these seemingly undesirable conditions may be part of a purposeful plan." President Spencer W. Kimball
Love ya, Ricki

2 comments:

Wanda Jean Wach said...

Ouch...poor Chris. I remember how hard it was for them to find Pam's veins, too...so very painful. Oh, my, life continues at a fast clip and it's "all good stuff", as I like to say. Even the struggles are "good stuff" as there are lessons to be learned. Wouldn't it be fun, though, just to have ONE day to sit around, flip through a magazine, eat bon-bons, in your jammies?! Dream on, huh... The BYU-Idaho game should be awesome.
I put Chris's name on the Redlands Temple Prayer Roll end of last week.

Kristi said...

So sorry Chris is in pain. Poor guy. Wish he didn't have to suffer. He fights with such dignity and love for his family. Hope you get to enjoy the BYU game!