Monday, January 23, 2012

So to start out, Chris is doing about the same. He hasn't lost anymore toe nails and his hair isn't falling out as much.
Chris, Tay and I went to Tay's CAP banquet last week it was very nice. Tay looked so nice in his uniform.
Chris and Jacob went to the Jazz game (for Jr. Jazz) Tuesday night where later I heard from friends that they were pretty sure that even though Chris and Jacob were sitting in the "nose bleed" section that the Jazz players could hear Chris. One of are friends said "That they couldn't see Chris but they could sure hear him." After the game they got to meet Matt Harpering and he signed Jacob's jersey (thanks to a neighbor who works at Energy Solutions).
Chris' mom and dad came into town this week. Nice to spend time with them. They were on their way up to Oregon to see Chris' brother Dave (38 years old) who is dieing of cancer. Their family has only known for about 3 weeks. Today they meet with Hospice.:( Crazy to think about. I have tried my best to lend a hand from here but it is sooo hard. As soon as they talk to Hospice they are one step ahead of us. His wife (Marla) will then know more then I do, and because she is such a kind person will someday turn around and help me. Makes you wonder about life. "Why has are family been so blessed to have Chris here for so long?" And of course we don't know the ending to Chris' story yet but Dave has suffered a lot. I am soo proud of Marla she is amazing. If you want to know how Chris' brother is doing you can follow her blog "Adventures in Wachland" If you do read her blog just don't compare the two:) she is much better at grammar, and paragraphs (I don't put paragraphs just because it drives people crazy LOL) and she is much funnier.
Last Sunday we celebrated Meg and I's bday. Had family and friends over for cake and pie. Meg had banana cream pie and I had 3 different types of cake from Nothing bundt Cakes. Mmmm.
Monday was Meg's bday. We went to Chick-fil-a and embarrassed her by bringing her balloons and a banana cream pie - and of course we sang - she was taking orders:) Oh, how she loves us!! We picked her up from work to take her to dinner and a movie. She asked me to bring her a change of clothes which I forgot (accidentally) and so she ended up wearing my coat (she hadn't brought one) to cover up her uniform. Of course it was cold outside! We saw War Horse. I couldn't stop crying!! Tay sat next to me and he kept rubbing my arm and telling me it was ok. Katie later came and sat on my lap, at the end of the movie I was sobbing and Katie said to me "It's ok mom, it's just a movie." over and over again to me (as Tay was rubbing my arm). What sweet children I have:) It was a beautiful movie just hit to close to home. I would love to see the show about the Twin Towers but if I can't handle War Horse I don't think I would do well in that movie. We ended up not eating out - to full from popcorn:)
Thursday, we met with the DMV for Meg's License hearing. We went to the same place where she got her license - how ironic! She gets her license at 16 and at 19 gets it taken away:) For young adults the point limit on your license is 69. Meg had 115!!!! They gave us two options. 1- probation for a year, you can drive but if you get any citations license is gone for a year. Year would have started Dec. 20 (day of accident). 2- suspend license for 30 days. After 30 days take a defensive driving class and pay $30 to get your license back. We took option 2. We have already been driving her everywhere what's two more weeks? then she will go to China. When she gets back she can take care of everything. The hearing officer said that that would take her close to zero points and might help with insurance. Ahhh. I feel like we are learning so many things about "the world." I didn't even know there was such a thing as "license hearings" Meg was also lucky enough to go to the dentist that day. No cavities:) And we did a ton of shopping to get her ready to go - she has to take enough contact solution to last her six months - that's not something they sell there. Toys for the kids, hand sanitizer, etc.
We were in the mall and I had my wedding ring cleaned. The jeweler told me that I had 4 out of 6 prongs missing on my ring (you could tell it was true). He advised that I get it fixed before I lose my diamond. I told Chris and he said "We aren't spending the money to fix it because soon you won't need to wear it." It was hard but I took it off after Meg and Chris' mom got after me:) The diamonds belonged to Chris' mom's mother. And since life threw me a curve ball I had decided to let Meg have the diamonds for her ring someday. It has felt very weird not wearing it. The bright side is that now I don't have to take it off after he dies (I've heard that's hard to do). My finger will be used to being "naked." hee, hee.
Tay spoke in Sacrament meeting yesterday. Did a great job. Spoke nice and slow:)
Today Tay and Jacob go to the ortho. Jacob's teeth look great so today maybe the day they decide that his braces can come off. Look out Twix bar:)
We have scouts, Jr. Jazz, driving Meg around, CAP, orchestra and I have my literary committee meeting for the middle school. This time I had to read 4 books. One of them was The Help. Ya, NO!!! No way would I have Tay read that book!! Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul (to many girlie stories - otherwise ok), Eighth Grade Bites (vampires of course), and Shipwrecked at the Bottom of the World (true story about Antarctica expedition - really interesting). Glad to be done reading these books so I can start reading what I want. Right now I am reading some parenting books and some on grieving (hey, I have time I should prepare:). Anyway, I have to tell you my funny story (I told a friend and she laughed so hard that I have to write it down). I was laying in my bed at night reading my parenting book. Kids kept coming in and bugging me. Finally, I yelled at them to get to bed, "Stop bugging me, I'm trying to learn how to be a good mother!!!" Ha, ha, ha it was a funny moment. Yeah, I'm not any closer to being a better mother. LOL.
"Love the people God gave you, cuz one day he will need them back."
Love ya, Ricki

2 comments:

Marla said...

Apparently we're the sprinters and you're the distance runners. That reminds me when Dave talks about old family reunions and how Chris and their cousin used to take turns winning the race every year and eventually Dave came in third and he was proud to mostly keep up. Wish he hadn't caught up so fast in this "race"! I hate that our families are taking this journey together but I'm glad we have each other to lean on!

Love you! Stay Plucky! ;)

Aunt Wanda said...

Always good to hear from you, Ricki. As usual, I have to sit and rest a bit after reading all of your many family adventures! It really helps me to read your Blog for the latest news. And, it so helpful to read Marla's blog about their situation, too. I appreciate both of you taking the time to keep us "in the loop".