Friday, May 9, 2014

Yippee Mother's Day is almost here!  We get to talk to Megan at 1:45ish - she said:)  It will be 8:45 pm for her. Her mission president is only allowing phone calls.  No Skype, which is good for me:)   Ryan's big white envelope should be arriving any day.  It would be way cool if it came this week and he opened it with Megan on the phone.  I probably couldn't wait that long and Ryan said that if he gets to the mailbox first he's opening it right then and there.  He's not allowed to go.  I hid the mailbox key. lol. 

It has been a crazy few weeks.  Chris fell down the stairs last week.  The hospice nurse was worried so she came out to look at him.  Nothing broken, just bruised.  He weighs about 120 pounds.  If you take off the weight of the tumors it would be less.  The one in his neck is big and so there is a lot of bruising.  the skin can't be pulled much tighter.  His left leg from the thigh down to his foot is very swollen.  He wears compression socks all the time to try and help the swelling.  I hate to see his foot it is soo big (reminds me of an elephants foot) and the other leg is just a skeleton.  He's not eating much because food doesn't taste anymore.  No flavor.  He has me running different places to get him food but after one bite he doesn't want it because food is no fun without flavor:(  He sleeps a lot during the day.  Most nights are good but he has had a few nights were I want to hang him by his toenails.  He had me take him to Target to get my Mother's Day present.  He got me a new land phone.  The one we had was broken and it made this horrible beeping noise in your ear and ran out of battery really fast.  I make a lot of phone calls for PTA and work so it was a very thoughtful gift:)  The kids are getting used to helping daddy a lot more than they ever had to.  We all take turns.  I am grateful that Chris uses the kids when they are home and me when they aren't.  He usually only gets out of bed to use the restroom.  I did drag him to Sam's club yesterday and that was way hard on both of us.  He had his wheelchair but I can't push the wheelchair and the cart at the same time.  He was very tired.  I had him stay by the door of the store so I could load the car and then I came back for him.  He has had a lot of company lately, which is fun.  Some of his co-workers came over and then Saturday, his friends that he grew up with came over.  They hadn't seen each other for 10-15 years.  It was so fun to see Chris smile.
We love you all and appreciate all that you do for us from prayers to meals (we have amazing cooks all around us!!)  Keep checking back to see where Ryan is going:)  Chris had a dream he was going to the Philippines.  Megan says that he is going to Argentina because all of her comps brothers are there and Ryan wants Texas for the barbecue or Australia for the sexy accent.  Will see soon............
Love ya,
Ricki 

3 comments:

Wanda Jean Wach said...

YAY--some Wach news! I've been checking often. I know you are super-duper busy and emotionally drained, so can understand why you can't write often. I am glad Chris is sleeping a lot during the day - that helps. Bless his heart..he just keeps truckin' along as best he can. Glad he is getting to see some friends, and that other friends are helping your family with food. How exciting you get to talk with Megan. And, you really didn't hide the mailbox key from Ryan did you?! Ha...he must be on pins and needles. Let us know! Happy Mother's Day, Ricki. Hugs and love to all...especially that wonderful nephew of mine. xoxoxoxoo

Colette said...

Just checking in for an update... so sorry to hear Chris is in so much pain and that food no longer tastes. His will and tolerance continues to amaze me. Glad to hear you get to talk to Meg tomorrow, that will fill your mommy canteen really quick! I love how you write, it's like I can hear you talking. :) Love you, sweet friend.

Rymeng said...

Tell Ryan we would love to have him here in Texas. I am excited to here were he goes. Happy Mothers Day.