Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Last Sunday (April 13th) Ryan and his young men's leader brought the sacrament to Chris.  I am so grateful that my son is worthy to bless the sacrament - especially for his dad.  It is very touching to have the sacrament performed in a bedroom with a sick person and even more when it is father/son.  We live in a wonderful ward that has some great young men and leaders that are so great at giving service.  Unless, you've been sick enough to not attend church for weeks/months I don't think you realize how much it means to the person that you are performing it for.  And what a great thing that the young men learn.
Chris has been mentioning that his temple recommend was expiring at the end of the month and that he would like to get it renewed. So when I was at church last Sunday I asked the Bishop if he could come to the house and interview Chris.  He of course said "yes." and a member of the stake presidency happened to be at are ward so I asked if he could also come over and interview Chris and of course he said "yes."  Chris will never use his temple recommend but to have it and know that you are worthy of it means a lot.  It puts things in perspective for the rest of us:)  Thank you Bishop and Bro. Thacker for making time to come over.
Sunday, was also Chris and I's 24th wedding anniversary.  Chris was sooo thoughtful, he asked Jim to go and get me a present from him.  Chris asked him to get me some bubble gum ice cream from Baskin Robbins.  One of are favorite things to share. He also wrote me a love note.  Yep, I'm crying.  Even in tons of pain and not feeling well he still thinks of me and the gift was more than thoughtful because it came from the heart.  something that we have shared through the years (especially when we were dirt poor and that's all we could afford to celebrate with).  I'm thankful also that we have a friend like Jim who would take time out of his busy life and help Chris get a gift for me.
Friends and family came over to help with the sadness of the day.  We all played cards for awhile.  I went into check on Chris.  I laid next to him as we both listened to all the fun noise coming from the kitchen.  It TOTALLY broke my heart.  It sounded like everyone was having so much fun.  Chris asked a few questions about who was winning and I told him some "moves" that Jacob was making that he had taught him.  It just hurt so, so, much to think of Chris laying in bed in tons of pain not able to play and having to listen to all the fun going on around him.  We laid head touching head (we do that a lot) since everything else hurts to be touched.  That same evening I got out our wedding album and we showed the kids.  They had a good laugh at the 80's clothes and hair:)  It was a nice "last anniversary." 
On Tuesday, Chris felt like he needed to do what the Bishop had asked him to do - which was to write down his testimony.  It was difficult for him.  He got mad at the noise and was in tons of pain as he sat in his wheelchair and typed it on the computer.
Taylor's Eagle scout paperwork got lost and so I called to head quarters and they found it - thank goodness.  Sometimes I really wonder - "Why?"  Tay and I have talked and we've decided that we are going to have Tay's Eagle awarded to him here at are house.  I had forgotten that their was a father's pin, so now I'm moving this along faster to get it done.  I've sent messages to Tay's leaders that he wants to give the mentor pins to.  Will make it special by having his favorite cake:)  and will still embarrass him with a slide show.  Simple, but then Chris can enjoy it also.  Thank goodness Tay is my "shy" one.  He was very happy not to have a night that was all about him.:)
Now - a hodge podge of random things:)---- Rye passed his TB test, I cancelled his colonoscopy because I was to stressed out to deal with it (we can do it in the summer - and it didn't break his heart he was way glad to be able to spend spring break with his friends), Chris has all kinds of cravings at all differet times of the day.  Mostly at night.  Apollo burger, milky way bar, 3 musketeers bar, cinnamon rolls (yes again - this time from the freezer section:), bean burrito from Taco Time, rice bowl from Rumbi Island........ he doesn't eat much but it makes him happy. We are so grateful to those of you who have brought us meals.  They just keep appearing:)  One night a friend brought us "Thanksgiving dinner"  it was totally awesome!!  Everything you eat at thanksgiving was there.  I swear she must have been cooking alllll day!  Tay and I enjoyed the pumpkin pie.  We split it in half because no one else likes pie. It was awesome!!  Also a dear, dear friend who lives wayyy over on the east coast sent us Easter gifts.  She spoiled us ROTTEN!!  My kids will never look at Easter the same again:)  Easter is not my favorite holiday, Chris usually does it because he knows I'm not crazy about it -( give me any other holiday and I'm all over it). So, she was my sweet angel that took over the holiday.  I was in a rut and she came to my rescue.  I'm sooo grateful that she listened to the prompting that she had.  She has her own trials with her husband who has cancer and yet she bent down to pick me up.  I need to be more like her, she is an amazing woman.  In are trials we can look around and see someone who is worse off and to me that is her (don't tell her. lol).  Thank you for being a disciple of Christ.  I love ya girl!   We got spoiled by are favorite aunt and uncle from California this week.  Aunt Wanda and Uncle Ray came to see us.  They were going to buy us pizza and have it delivered but Chris insisted that we go out to eat.  We had a wonderful visit with them.  They bought us lunch and then insisted on buying us an Easter gift - the new Hobbit movie. Made the kids very happy.  We just love you guys:)  Chris is still getting up in the night.  He tends to get up around 4:30 am and need something to eat.  One night he grossed me out!  He had chocolate chocolate chip cookie that he put Laughing Cow cheese on and then had me pour milk on it and then he wanted me to sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on it!!!!!  He ate most of it.  He is also falling down atleast twice a day.  He's had two really bad falls.  He can't get up and needs help.  On a lighter note it reminds me of those Life Alert commercials that we make fun of -"Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!"  That is one reason why we can't leave him at home a lone anymore.  I usually go to the temple once a week and the last four weeks I've been lucky to have Jacob home so he could take care of things (he's my most responsible kid:) now I will need to ask for help from family and friends.  There is no way he can be left for 3 1/2 hours alone:(
Biggest news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I got a letter on Friday from the Social Security department/Medicare and all I have to do is fill out some papers.  Pay $839.26  and I can have Chris' medical bills paid back all the way to August 2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Major, major blessing!!!!    I'm so grateful.  What a relief to Chris especially to know that as soon as these two things are done that he can stop kicking himself "for the mess he says he put his family in."
Sorry, once again to all my friends who are "English" grammar nazis.  I'd love to tell you that I messed up things on purpose - but I didn't.  I just wasn't paying attention in school - to many cute guys to look at. lololol.
Love you all tons.  I'd write more but my chair is being pulled away from me ----- someone else wants to "play" on the computer. lol

3 comments:

Wanda Jean Wach said...

I am SUPER happy/relieved about the insurance/medical bill snafu being resolved!! Paying the $839 doesn't seem so bad, huh, considering the bills all the way back to Aug. 2013 will be covered...Oh Happy Day!!! Visiting with your dear family was a highlight of our Salt Lake trip. Neat about the Sacrament being brought in, the gift from Chris to you via a friend, the dear friend who played "Easter Bunny" just when you needed her to...and so many other neat things happening and they will continue to happen--"Tender Mercies". xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Debby Brown said...

God moves in mysterious ways and he is definitely taking care of your family. Awesome, I am so happy for you about the Medical bills - great. Chris in my eyes is a spiritual giant to keep pushing, I really admire and love you both.

Colette said...

Ummm... for the record, the Easter Bunny was only trying to do what Ricki would do. ;) Love you so much... <3