Saturday, August 1, 2009

Chris missed chemo last week because his white blood cell count was down (worried about infection) and he had lost 7 lbs. He is now 178. The doctor told him he couldn’t afford to loose anymore weight. He had chemo just a couple of days ago he has been veeerrrryyyy sick and verrrrryyyy tired.
Chris went to scout camp and did ok. He had a lot of wonderful leaders with him that helped him. One of them drove 40 miles to a store to get Chris some gloves. It was cold up there and with the side effect of cold sensations it was hard on him. He also got to take one of the boys to the hospital to get stitches in his hand (not ours thank goodness). Overall he had fun but paid for it later – he came back with some kind of infection.
We do have some exciting news, drum roll please. . . Katie is officially POTTY TRAINED!!! No more diapers!!!! I finally decided that I could put it off no longer. Every time I went into her nursery class and saw kids younger than her potty trained I knew I’d better do my motherly duty.
Chris was released as Scoutmaster last Sunday. He is now the 1st counselor in the Young Men’s Presidency (which means he will be able to hang out with Rye which will be good for both of them) and Merit Badge counselor.
School has started for Jacob (2nd grade) and Taylor (5th grade) and Meg is running cross country. Tomorrow is Ryan’s birthday he will be turning 14!! Where has the time gone?! Sorry about taking so long to write but not much changes with poor Chris. I hate to sound like “Negative Nellie” but he is always tired (doesn’t usually go places with us anymore) and either vomiting, diarrhea or both which makes life miserable for him. It is hard for us to watch. We love him so much but can't do anything to ease his burden. We love you all and appreciate your love and support. Love, Ricki

5 comments:

Kristi said...

Hello Ricki! Wow! You sound like you are accomplishing so much! I must say, I too have to potty train Karly still! Lucky you to mark that one off the list! We have been thinking of Chris and how he is doing. We hope he begins to feel better soon. He is so lucky to have you to watch out for him. Your perserverance will undoubtedly benefit him! Know of our love for your family! Brian and Kristi

Unknown said...

Hello Miss Ricki!
I check your blog frequently...You are all in my daily prayers but today's comment is for Ryan....HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY! I hope you are enjoying your summer? See you soon in the halls at SRMS.
MZ D :)

Anonymous said...

Riki and Megan
I think I’ve only met you 4 times but you two make me feel like we’ve been best friends forever. It’s very uplifting to see your bright smiles and contagious personalities. Every time we bump into each other you pick me up and bring back a lot of the brightness that I’ve been missing since my wife died, just over 7 months ago You both have a gift that brings the best out of the people you associate with. Getting to meet your youngest daughter on Friday was also a pleasure. She is also very beautiful.
Chris;
I’ve only met you once, maybe twice but I wonder if you know how lucky you really are. Yes you’re going through some terrible times, but your family stays upbeat and so positive, sharing their extremely bright spirits with everyone. The love that your family holds is way above that of most.
You are so lucky to be able to share your life with these incredible young ladies. I haven’t been able to meet your boys, but I’m positive they are the same way. You are so lucky to be able to plan the future for your family if end is really near. Lucky to sit down and tell each other all the things you really want to say. You are so lucky to plant the memories that you want your loved ones to remember for the rest of their lives. You have time to leave recordings or messages that they can share for their lifetime. And most important to be able to tell them a proper goodbye and tell them how much you really love them. My wife left me so fast I wasn’t able to do this. It pains me to no end.
Yes you are so Lucky, You can still do things fun even if its feeding the ducks at 1100 south and I-215, or fishing with the boys at cove pond in Herriman, or just playing in the mud in the back yard. (mud pies cook much faster in this heat) But I recommend going to the Leatherby’s Ice cream shop at Redwood road and 5400 south and ordering the largest Ice cream order they have and spending all day to eat it all, and if the baby lets it run down her chin and on the dress and in her shoes and on the floor or if the boys want to play in it, ‘Just Laugh’. The memory will definitely last. Laughter is always the best memory and usually the best medicine. And you’re lucky you don’t have to worry about gaining weight.

God bless you and your incredible family.
My prayers are always with you.

Monte R.

PS. Don’t forget to bring me a small cup of the caramel topping. There’s no way you’re going to eat it all.

Anonymous said...

Im sorry
the ducks are at 1100 west and i-215
monte

Aunt Wanda Wach said...

It occured to me this morning that I hadn't checked your Blog for some time, so was glad to see an update on Chris and your family. I am sad to hear that he is not feeling so well, but guess the chemo causes all that. He made it through Scout Camp, which is amazing. Neat support there from everyone. YAY on Megan's potty training. Kids back in school, life normalizing as much as possible. Love you all so much.