Wednesday, August 19, 2009

An Old Lady's White Bum

I’m finally writing to update you on last week’s events (which you will all get a kick out of). Monday, Aug. 10th Megan got her DRIVERS LICENSE!!!! (I now have one potty trained and one that has her driver’s license- Yikes) Tuesday, my friend Melissa and I took five scouts on a 10 mile hike which turned out to be 12 miles and a man that we talked to on the trail said that if you laid this hike out flat it would be 15 miles. We saw a female moose; she was just about 50 feet from us. It was a beautiful hike there were a lot of wild flowers, springs and waterfalls. It was a lot of work. When they say intermediate hike that’s what they mean. Thank goodness I won’t need to do that hike again for 2 more years, until Taylor becomes a scout. It took us 7 hours. Rye fell and hurt his pinky finger and hit his head on the way down and I mooned some mountain bikers who happened to cross my path:)It’s just my luck we only passed 6 people in 7 hours and of course 2 of them pass us when I’m pulling up my pants. And yes I did go far enough off the trail they should not have seen me!! Oh, and Rye’s ok:) (hee, hee). Wednesday, Chris had his 5th chemo treatment. He lost 4 more pounds. I told the doctor about the pain that he is having in his abdomen. The doctor said Chris would be doing a CT scan again soon they have them done at the 6th treatment. We will also have a test done to see if there is anymore sign of the tumor. Chris feels horrible but makes everyone else think that he is fine, which he isn’t but he doesn’t want to worry anyone (but me of course). Thursday, I came upon an accident that had just happened 3 children and a mother were hit by a car while they were walking on the sidewalk! (Impaired driver of course) I stopped thinking that someone on the cross country team had gotten hurt (Megs in cross country and was out running) thank goodness I had my first aid kit in the car and some extra towels. The 5 year old boy was the worst they life flighted him to Primary Children’s Hospital with major head trauma and the 3yr old and 1yr old were taken in ambulances the mother was ok for the most part and she and her husband drove up to the hospital. So many wonderful people stopped and helped, it was amazing to see the cooperation and support from people who didn’t know each other working together. They took the driver off in hand cuffs and then later on the news they said that he was “impaired.” Then, Melissa, Melissa’s 3 children, 6 scouts, myself and Katie where headed to City Creek Canyon to go on another 10 mile hike. Well, I didn’t know where I was going so I was following Melissa, who has a lead foot. I didn’t want to loose her so I was speeding to keep up with her. Try to guess what happens next! I get pulled over for speeding!!!!!!! 32 in a 25! I beg the officer I tell him what a Good Samaritan I was this morning and how I’m taking all of these scouts on a hike and ohhhh please could he forgive me. He takes my license back to his car. I tell the kids “say a prayer” I just got a ticket in November and we just changed insurance companies 3 days earlier (we found a better insurance company to have 3 driver’s on) . I see him get out of his car with the clipboard and I start crying (clipboard/paperwork/ticket). He hands me my license and tells me “that today is my lucky day” NO ticket!! Melissa is up ahead of me waiting. I pull up to her and tell her the story and of course she apologizes profusely. I tell her she owes me a LARGE Dr. Pepper and a hair coloring job. So now (after a gas station stop) we are on are way to do a hike that we found that we could take a stroller on, all paved. It was a beautiful hike. Katie was a perfect angel for being gone all day. This hike only took us 5 hours and no one got hurt or tortured by seeing an old ladies white bum (hee, hee). Melissa and I have been doing these hikes to help get the boys their required Merit Badge for scouts. They have to do five 10 mile hikes and one 20 mile hike. Chris had taken them to Zions, Jordan River Parkway and the other leaders took them to Butterfield Canyon. So most of the boys needed 2 more hikes. Some need more because they didn’t go on one of the three. Friday, we rested (I think, I can’t remember). Saturday, Meg, Rye, and Chris had Youth Conference. Chris was too ill to stay for very much. Now this week yesterday (Tuesday) I took Katie and 4 boys who needed another hike to Jordan River Parkway, we hiked 10 miles. Again Katie was an angel for 4 hours of being in the sun. Tomorrow one of the scouts mothers is going to drive me and 4 scouts up to Wolfcreek Canyon and drop us off so that we can hike 20 miles. Pray I make it, I’m an old lady!!!! (and of course that I don’t moon anymore people, hee, hee). Megan and my mom are going to be in charge of keeping the fort down here. We are leaving at 6 am and I hope that we arrive home around 6 pm. Who knows. And then 4 of the 6 boys will have completed their Hiking Merit Badge and will be one step closer to Eagle. One of them being my boy:)

2 comments:

danni morgan said...

What an adventure you have had since the 1st of August. Yeah no more diapers but oh Boy on the drivers liscense. Audrey is taking drivers ed in the 3rd quarter this year. Where does the time fly to. Chris just amazes us all with what he is having to go through and still puts on a smile for every one. We are keeping your family in our prayers. How funny not running into any one until mother nature calls and then they come along.
The Morgans

MT said...

Oh my gosh, now the world knows that I got you a ticket. I better buy stock in Dr. Pepper cause I'm going to owe you more than one. Thank you for still being my friend (he, he) I wish I could do all the hiking with you, but dang that thing called a job! You are the best and I love you and Chris dearly. I think you are two of the most amazing and giving people I have ever met. And again, I'm sorry for the ticket :)

Love, Melissa