Friday, August 21, 2009

I just wanted to let you know that we made it after hiking 20 miles yesterday. No one got hurt, Yeahhhhh!!! Wednesday night I changed the hike to one that I found in a book from the library that a man told me about when we were hiking Tuesday. It’s called 300 Hikes in Utah. I found a hike that was closer to home, Park City it is called the Rail Trail. It goes 30 miles but we only needed 20. We had talked about walking the whole thing so that two of the boys would have another 10 miler done but we said we’d see how we felt after doing 20 miles:) Needless to say after 20 miles we were done not even the boys who needed the 10 miler wanted to go. It took us 7 ½ hours. If you get the chance go on this hike (shorter version, hee, hee) it was beautiful, there was a lot to look at. We saw a bald eagle, beaver, cows, beautiful horses, goats, sheep, lamas, streams, walked through dark tunnels, saw dead animal parts (boys loved that), lakes with tons of gross moss (which we loved throwing rocks into because the moss parted and left black gross water showing) and the best part we walked by was a compost farm! We walked for awhile with are shirts covering are noses it smelled wayyyy bad. The hike goes from Park City to Echo Lake. We hiked from Wanship to Echo Lake and then back where one of the boys mothers picked us up, she was kind enough to drive us and hang out close by encase we needed her and then drive us home (I knew I wouldn’t be up to it). My brother in-law Jim manages the Park City McDonalds and he was kind enough to feed us before we started hiking. He was also the boy’s inspiration for getting the hike done by 4 pm. Jim told the boys free food and as much as they wanted if they got done before he left, we arrived at 3:57! Thanks Jim I might still be out on the trail!!!! I told the two boys who need just one more 10 miler that we’d hike from Park City to Wanship next week before school starts. Right now 2 boys have this merit badge completed. If I take the other 2 next week than will have four completed. Two to go but they have the 20 miler to do which I don’t think I can do again. I actually feel good today except that I have big blisters on the pads of my feet. Last night I could hardly walk. Chris babied me, he got me ice packs to put on my feet, Ibuprofen, propped my feet up and then took care of the kids. What a sweetie. Megan has a busy day today she is at the Oquirrh Mountain Temple dedication right now (the first session) and then she will come home and participate in the cross country fundraiser. She will be running for 24 hours!! People donate money for every mile that she runs. It starts at noon today and goes till tomorrow at noon. It sounds like a lot of fun – go Meg! Tomorrow Jacob and Taylor have their first flag football games and Sunday the rest of us get to go to the Temple dedication at the stake center. We love you guys! Love, Ricki

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Ricky!!!

everyone grown so much but Megan oh my Lord!! She is a little woman!

Miss you all!!!

Nihan

Anonymous said...

wow you sure are busy! i want you to know that your family and chris are in my prayers every night.i also fasted for him this past sunday. i love him and hope he is doing well. i want to know how namy miles meg ran! thants insane! i hate running so i could never do that. tell tell the family hi!

miss you lots!

love
brooke alexander