Friday, August 6, 2010

Yesterday before chemo Chris, Katie and I went and met with Katie's preschool teacher. We will be gone when she has her open house and school will have started by the time we get back. She was kind enough to let us come over early to meet her and see the school. Katie picked her "flowers" from the grass (morning glory:) - it was very cute and of course her teacher was wonderful about receiving the "flowers."
Then we came home and Chris rested for a while until we went to the school to have lunch with Jacob and have Taylor serve us lunch (he has been a lunch worker this week). Kids love Chris and he was surrounded by kids asking him to come out and play. He didn't because he was just to tired and sick.
Chris has been veerrryyyy ill all this week. He has missed work which is not like him and he has missed family things this week (Jacob receiving awards at pack meeting, scripture reading, dinner etc.) so you know he has felt rotten. The anti nausea medicine made it so that he didn't throw up but he was soooooo tired and in so much pain that we decided it wasn't worth it to try again this week. The nurses commented on how they have never had a patient react so badly to the Emend (drug he took last week) they even got on line to look it up they were astonished on how badly it made Chris feel, other patients love it. They don't know why his hand swelled up either. It was a veryyyy bad week for Chris last week. The doctor also decided to not give him the cisplatin at all this week (he was going to give him a smaller dose but after this last week he decided against it all together) which made his chemo treatment much shorter. When he takes the cisplatin he also has to have a bag of potassium which takes along time, it can't be dripped to fast. So he had a different anti nausea medicine and 2 other drugs. We were out of there in two hours:)
We came home and he went to bed. I looked through every ones backpacks and did my "homework:)" Chris and I went to Back to School Night at the elementary school. Chris was verrryyy sick. He really didn't want to go because he felt horrible. He was making me laugh because he kept complaining about all the PTA business. He does it just to spite me. I've done the PTA business portion many years. We try to make it fast so that we don't annoy people like Chris but it has to be done.:) We went and met Taylors teacher. After that he just couldn't do any more. He went home and I went and attended Jacobs class. I did a lot of crying last night especially after Chris left me. I sat in Jacobs class and thought about what it will be like next year. This last week has just been extremely hard because of Chris being so ill. I haven't seen him this sick since he had the whipple. It is soooo hard to watch someone in pain, hear them moan and groan, throw up, sleep a lot and know that there is nothing you can do to help them. I wish I could take some of his fatigue from him - you'll notice I didn't say pain - I'm a baby, my niceness doesn't extend that far:) It just breaks my heart. Especially when he says that he has had enough that he is ready to go. He is tired of his body. I wonder if chemo is really worth it. Quantity vs. Quality. Seeing what he is going through it would be hard but I could let him go. He is miserable. I look around and see that I am very blessed. I know a woman that just got divorced her ex husband doesn't pay child support and so she is working herself to death trying to provide for her family. I will be provided for and won't have to work myself to death (outside the home-hee, hee). It's not going to be easy but we will get through it. The kids have been great. They have each stepped it up a notch this week helping around the house and with Katie especially when my patience is running low with her.
Thank goodness we have time before we leave for Disney World for Chris to feel better.
Love, Ricki

3 comments:

Aunt Wanda said...

Well, what a rough week this has been for all, especially Chris. I see a step-by-step progress here as you move along this road together. Maybe the chemo is too much for him as you say....quality vs. quantity. I really feel you will be inspired to do what needs to be done and get through all of this together. xoooxxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

" PTA business portion "

Oh man...you are one of those who drones on and on.. ;P


See you guys on Saturday, looking forward to it!

~ Jason

Katie said...

So glad you posted pictures from the books -- they look so awesome! Have a wonderful trip, I will be praying for you all!