Thursday, February 3, 2011

Tomorrow is Chris' last day of work. We met with the doctor today to discuss the PET scan results. The tumor in Chris' neck and back are bigger and there is new cancer growing where his surgery was (whipple) where they put together the stomach and intestine. He also has a large blood clot in his lung which gives him a great deal of pain. There is nothing that they can do for this, he is already on lovenox (blood thinners). The tumor in his neck/back (especially neck) is giving him a great deal of discomfort. Dr. talked about perhaps radiation to help alleviate some of the pain/pressure in his neck and back. We talked about the other chemo but decided that we would like some time to think about it. Chris would have to have the port put back in his chest. He would carry around a pump like he did before. The treatment would last 48 hours. He would be sick, tired and he would loose his hair. (he has already talked our boys into shaving their heads if he does the treatment:) Dr. said that he would not add the medicine that would give him a rash and make him itch (thank goodness!) Dr. also referred us to HOSPICE:( Tomorrow is r first appointment. When speaking with lady on the phone I told her that I needed someone who could deal with five children and would be LDS. We don't want anyone coming in here talking doom and gloom. We have been dealing with this for two years. We know where Chris is going thanks to the Plan of Salvation and that we can be with him again. I am sad about what has happened today, but I have known that this day would someday come. I am most sad about Chris quitting work. He enjoys his job and the people he works with, and I think he will get bored at home (and drive me crazy - hee, hee). So, here we go on a new journey. We appreciate all the prayers. Love, Ricki

8 comments:

Trista said...

Sweet, sweet Ricki and family. Oh how I love you guys. You are always in my prayers, but I'll try to remember an especially fervent prayer tonight. Love you bunches.

Colette said...

You've got to be the strongest woman, wife and mother I know. I admire your faith so much. Much love and many prayers for you and your sweet family.

Ashley Ziegler said...

Wow. I really have no idea what you're feeling, but I'm really just impressed with your blog posts. You inspire me to serve, and help and love those that are close to me, and really trust in our Heavenly Father that we'll see our loved ones pass away. Ugh, it breaks my heart. You're an inspiration. Thank you.

Debby Brown said...

Thanks for being my example Ricki. I admire your courage and strength so much. Our Love and Prayers are with you and yours Forever and Ever.

Debby Brown

Rona said...

I worked with Chris at Verizon for many years and there is not a better man or kinder man that I can think of. I am broken hearted to hear of your pain and of the trials he and your family have had to endure. Chris thank you for the example you were to me of what a good man and priesthood holder should be. I know we never spoke religion at work but I knew of your faith and what you stood for and I appreciated it. May our lords blessings be with you and your family on this rough and difficult journey and thank you for being such a great example to me and many others that you have touched and may never know it.
Rona Mortensen

Fleck Family said...

I am so inspired and proud of your family. I worked with Chris at Franklin and know some of his family from Oregon. He is such a fantastic guy your family shows that Ricki and Chris passed that faith and kindness on:)
You are continually in my prayers
Helen

Tammy said...

You are amazing Ricki. I have no idea how you keep it together!! Thanks for your example. Dave and I love your family. You guys were there when Dave started coming back to church, and Chris welcomed him with open arms. I am very grateful to Chris for that. You are you family our in our prayers!!

Aunt Wanda said...

I hardly know what to say, other than our precious nephew will leave such a beautiful legacy for his family, and continues fighting so valiantly for all of you. I know he will miss work, but now is the time to leave that job behind him. Oh, my...we love you all so much and our prayers are constantly with, and, for all of you.
Love you, Aunt Wanda and Uncle Ray