Thursday, February 19, 2009

Next step

During are meeting with Dr. Ott he said that Chris would probably need a blood transfusion. So we are now looking into how to donate my blood to him during surgery. I did not realize that it was so difficult. I thought that I'd go somewhere, donate my blood, they'd hold it till March 9th and then use it on Chris. But that is so fffaaarrrr from how its done. I am learning a lot. One great thing is that my insurance will pay for myself or Chris to donate (he could donate to himself before the surgery but he needs to heal). If your insurance doesn't pay its about $450.00 (wow!) Also if they don't use my blood it will be thrown away! I thought that maybe they could just give it to someone else since I will have already been screened. Nope. I will go in donate a pint of blood then I have to have a physical by my doctor and then I can donate another pint etc. Who knew that this was such a complicated process. But first things first Chris and I have to see if we have the same blood type. Neither of us can remember so today I will call doctors to ask what type we are. We are also lucky enough to have Megan and Ryan with strep throat. We are trying are best to keep them away from Chris. The bright side though is that if Chris got it now he'd still have 3 weeks to get better (he doesn't like it when I say that:) He is doing great. Everyday he is getting stronger and acting more like the "old Chris" I even had him take out the garbage the other day he's doing so well:) Thanks again for all the prayers, miracles do happen. Love ya, Ricki

12 comments:

David said...

If he needs more blood, I have O negative, which is pretty universal. He's welcome to have some! :)

Sorensen's said...

Hi Ricki, I don't know what to say, but, I love you and your family and we'll keep you in our prayers. I believe in miracles!
Love, Emily

wjlarsens2 said...

Hey Wachs---just following along with the rest of the ward. Same idea as "David"--my blood type is A negative---let me know if that helps! GINA

Anonymous said...

That is great news!!!! I am soo glad that everything is getting better... hopefully things will continue to get better... you all are in out hopes and prayers...
love
joann

Anonymous said...

I don't think Chris has a choice in blood type-- Aren't all the Wach kids A+ (just like our personality types? :-))? We're glad to hear good news!
Auntielaurel

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, you can have all the blood from me that you want. O+. Of course you knew that before now, when we played basketball together. No blood no foul, right?
Love you Guys,
Ryan Reading And Fam.

Anonymous said...

What's the word on your blood type, Ricki? Hopefully he won't even need a transfusion and everything will go as planned. Chris repeatedly gets dealt really difficult hands and ends up the most blessed person I know. Much love to you guys and let us know if you need anything.
Auntie Marla

Anonymous said...

I'd be happy to provide my blood if they'd take it ... unfortunately, since my bout with ITP, I don't think I'm allowed.

All of this is great news! We're happy things are moving in a positive direction and we will keep you guys in our prayers.

Ryan & Kathryn Ockey and family

Danni said...

We just wanted to let you know that your family is in our prayers. If you need anything please let us know. My blood type is O neg. If you need any please let me know.

Anonymous said...

The reason they have to screen you so well, Ricki, is to make sure your hemoglobin count is high enough, etc. When I had my knee surgery last Nov., I was only allowed to donate 1 pint of blood to myself as I was slightly anemic. I tried to give a second pint, but after they drew the first pint, the wouldn't allow anymore donation. I only did need the 1 pint for the surgery, however.

We are so grateful to hear that Chris is feeling more "normal", but sorry about the strep throat with Megan and Ryan.

March 9 will be here before you know it. We are moving in to our new home on March 7, so this month promises to be a month of GOOD things for you and for us!
Love, Aunt Wanda

Kathi Palmer said...

We are so happy to read your good news. Thanks to the Whites we have been able to follow your blog to get updates. We're praying along with everyone else....
Love Steve and Kathi Palmer

Anonymous said...

Nuestras Oraciones y nuestro corazon estan con tigo y tu familia. Our heart and our prayers go to you my friend during this time. Thank you for being an inspiration to me every day with everything that you do. God Bless. V.M.