Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Friday (the 10th) Chris called Dr. Ott and asked him if he could remove his feeding tube. Chris feels that his stomach will start working better if he’s off the feeding tube. Dr. Ott asked him some questions and then told him that Chris could either come in and he’d remove it or Chris could do it himself. Chris opted to do it himself. Dr. Ott told him how to do it and that it would hurt but to keep pulling. He also told him that it is an outpatient procedure to put the tube back in. Chris waited till Sunday morning before church to pull the tube out. I’ve been telling him lately that he is a “bad patient”. I am worried that he isn’t going to get enough calories a day (2200). So far about all he eats are mashed potatoes, Jell-O and plain ham sandwiches. Monday (13th) it was Chris’ and I's 19th wedding anniversary. My parents had offered to baby sit the kids but there isn’t a whole lot that Chris and I can do (no movies – can’t go unless you can eat popcorn, no eating out etc) so will take them up on their offer in a couple of months when Chris is better. We decided to go to Antelope Island and see the buffalo and fly kites as a family (no school – spring break). We saw lots of buffalo but the wind wasn’t strong enough to fly the Star Wars kites that my kids got from the Easter bunny. It was still fun. Chris wore himself out trying to get the kites to fly. Chris went back to work yesterday he seemed to do alright, tired but hey, he helped load the dish washer which he hasn’t done since March 8th he must be getting better. Not too much else is happening Taylor lost a tooth, Megs cell phone was stolen, Katie, Jacob and I are sick, and it’s raining and snowing today (yuck!!) Oh, if anyone is interested we have a free IV pole that you can have. When Home Health came to pick up the stuff the other day they told me that I got to keep the pole (lucky me). Too bad it’s not strong enough for “Pole Dancing” (he, he) They told me to donate it to DI and then they would send it to a third-world country and if I ever need another one they’ll give me a new one. (Hope no one was offended by the “Pole” comment):o). Love, Ricki

4 comments:

mbeck said...

This is good news! My son, Jon, is home on leave (just returned from 7-month deployment). He and my son, Phil (Phil's wife just had their first baby 2 weeks ago yesterday), would like to come visit. I'll call to find a good time for us to come. Ricky, you're unbelievably strong and Chris, you're unbelievably amazing. Thanks for being such great examples to my sons!
Love to your whole family-Mary Ann

Anonymous said...

great news! Sorry you are sick Rick and happy anniversary :)
Ours was on Sunday 7 years.
NIHAN & CHUCK

Unknown said...

We continue to follow Chris' progress while being so far away from home here in Germany. It is heartwarming to see that progress is being made, but the prayers continue to be essential. We love the Wach family and long for the time when we will be able to visit you all in 11 short months.
The Johnsons

Anonymous said...

It was good to see you and your family Sunday. I wish we could have stayed longer to visit but we didn't want to intrude and had to get back to finish schoolwork for the kids. I'm glad things are continuing to improve in small steps. Let us know if there is anything we can do.

Ryan & Kathryn Ockey and family.