Monday, September 20, 2010

Chris had chemo Thursday, September 9th. We spoke with the doctor first and he changed Chris' medicines. Because of the potassium problem and the cisplatin being so hard on Chris he is giving us a different med. This one will be given one week and not the next. He will continue with gemzar even though that is hard on him, it really burns as it is going through his veins. He usually has a warm rice bag on his arm. He hadn't lost any weight and the tumor was the same size as in April. It had shrunk but then because of not having chemo for awhile due to scout camp and Disney World it had grown back to its original size. Doctor says we will continue with this regiment until it stops working, which the doctor says will happen. Dumb cancer cells are to smart. Chris was ill from this round, but still made it to Meg and Rye's cross country meet. He walked all over Soldier Hollow in Heber (where Olypmic events were held) so that he could encourage them. He should have been a coach:) His leg continues to hurt him. He is having a hard time sleeping at night and of course walking isn't easy. Alot of you say "he looks great" but he is a stinker-- he hides his pain well. He feels rotten!! I have a hard time watching him and listening to him moan and groan. I wish I could help him, ease his burden. I feel guilty that he is still working. I know it's good for him but he is in so much pain physically with his back and leg and then the upset stomach and always being tired. Breaks my heart.
Then Thursday, September 16th Chris had chemo. He lost four pounds in one week. The nurse's had a hard time finding his veins. Finally, they got a little blood out so that they could check his platelets. They were low but the doctor said give it to him anyway. After a few more pokes they found a vein that would cooperate. We talked to the nurse about how much pain Chris is in. They advised pain pills, but Chris won't take them so I guess he will be the tough guy he is and just deal with it.
Friday Chris took Taylor, Jacob and Ryan to the Scout Jamboree 100 year Celebration event. He looked awful and you could tell he felt awful but he packed up the car and went. It was an overnighter. They had a lot of fun booths, fireworks, card trading etc. The boys had a wonderful time. Some great memories made:) They got home and unloaded the car and Chris crashed. None of them got much sleep too much fun and 10,000 boys:)
I took the opportunity to ask Meg to babysit Katie so that I could go to the Temple. As I was going in I saw Dr. Ott. The doctor that did the whipple on Chris. I waved thinking it had probably been to long for him to remember me but he did (even remembered Chris' name-he is unforgettable) he asked me how Chris was doing and how the kids were doing. He told me that he goes every Saturday to pray for himself and his patients that he will be operating on. Very Cool!:)
So, this week no chemo. Just, cross country meet, scouts, YW/YM, preschool, homework (book report and project for Jacob), working in kids classroom, flag football, family pictures, General Women's Conference (which I look forward to), a baptism of one of our friends and Frid to Sat Meg and Rye have a cross country fundraising event. Each team member takes a turn running the baton around the track all night - 24 hours- fun!! And you know me maybe a little laundry etc. hee, hee. Tay and Jacob go off track this Friday. Oh, and the most exciting thing is that Sunday Ryan will receive his patriachal blessing:)
It has been a difficult week watching Chris suffer. He is such a trooper going to work and spending time with us. I know he is exhausted and would just like to take it easy but he just keeps going like the "Energizer Bunny" He is amazing I will miss him sooo much. I keep telling him to be mean to me so I won't miss him but instead he surprises Katie and I by bringing us lunch. Some days everything hurts and other days it just doesn't seem real. But then I see him and the pain he's in and I know it's real and I wonder "When?" "How long?" "Can I make it?" "Do I have what it takes?" Sorry, I will now go and eat a handful of blueberries (good for depression) and run around the house (also good for depression). I know there's always someone who is worse off (people who lost their homes in Herriman fire). We love all of you and appreciate knowing that if we needed anything we could call you.
Love, Ricki

4 comments:

Katie said...

You and Chris are amazing! Love you guys and pray for you always.

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing woman! Chris is well I don't even know a word to describe him but you both are one of a kind great people! I pray for Chris and his pain daily, and you lady... Your pain is big too and I also pray for you and your pain as well! Love,

Nihan

Kristi said...

I think you'll be running around your house til you're old and grey!! Busy is good, and what I know about you, busy is REAL good! So sorry Chris has to suffer so much. I can hardly watch Brian throw up without wanting to cry so I can't imagine what it must feel like for your family. Lots of love to your family! ;)

Aunt Wanda said...

Somewhere down deep in Chris's soul he has that "pioneer spirit" that just causes him to dig a little deeper when the occasion requires, which is usually an event or situation with his family...what a trooper. I love and admire him so much. And, love you, too for watching it all happen and dealing with it. I was told once that life is not a "coping" situation; it's either "deal or dump" --- you are doing great at "dealing" with the cards you've been handed. Please continue to hang in there, Ricki. xoxoxoxoo