Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Well, tomorrow is the big day. (The doctor changed the date from March 2 to March 3). Chris is excited he will finally be out of pain. I told him he should wait to have surgery until March 9th - the one year anniversary of the "whipple" surgery, but he told me he wasn't willing to wait that long.
Last week we enjoyed going to AZ (where it was cold and raining) for Chris' award banquet. The place was amazing and the food even more amazing. We had a great time "hanging" just the two of us. Chris didn't go golfing he was in to much pain before he even started. I went to the spa - amazing!! Where I had a pedicure and manicure for the first time. I'm totally hooked, I told Chris he now knows what he can get me for Mother's Day:) I laid out by the pool, (with a jacket on and towel over me as a blanket, but hey there wasn't any white stuff on the ground!!) read my book and drank an $11.00 smoothie (Ahhh, won't complain about Jamba Juice prices again:) And worked out in a beautiful fitness center that had windows that looked out at the cactus, flowers, and hills. Bottled water, towels and head sets provided. Met lots of neat people and hung out with some old friends that used to live in UT but moved to AZ. They came and got us one night and we went into Scottsdale (Snobsdale, as they call it :) Lots of fun.
We went ahead and bought Megs totalled car back from the insurance company and my dad who is great at fixing cars fixed up Megs car so it runs and looks pretty good for being totalled. My dad wanted to give us time to find a good car for Meg instead of rushing. We had also talked about buying a new van and car at the same time. Megs accident was the best thing that ever happened to me!!!!:) Chris got to see first hand how cold the car was without a heater and defroster (never got fixed all the way). So he started looking for a new van. Saturday afternoon the dealership gave us to good a deal so we now have a new van!!! Guess what kind? hee, hee. Of course a Chrysler Town and Country Stow-n-go!!! It is exactly like the one I rented (few more things just because it wasn't a rental). Love the trunk space, heater, defroster, windows that roll down, and no more crawling over the seats (it only holds 7 instead of 8). I did feel "a little" guilty about leaving my old van there but I'm sure I'll get over it:) Sad, I had to leave my Mickey Mouse stickers on the back window- guess we'll just have to go to Disneyland/World to get me some new ones:) It is "Clearwater Blue." And having heat is not over-rated!!! We will be parking in the back of the parking lot where ever we go and of course "NO food or drink" are allowed. And you must take your shoes off when you get in and hold them on your lap:) And no Chris and Meg are not allowed to drive my new van!!:) Oh.... one stipulation was that the van would have a hitch put on it for towing a trailer. For WHO??? the Scouts!! He "thinks" he's taking it on scout trips! I did agree to it, but I had my fingers crossed behind my back:) Still haven't given Chris the other key-hee, hee.
Saturday night Chris received an award for Scouts. The District Award of Merit. He was nominated by are Stake and one very wonderful man who did all the leg work (thanks). He had even invited Chris' scoutmaster! They showed a picture of the recipient on the wall as they read about them. Chris leaned over and asked me what picture had been used for him, I told him I had "no clue" When it was his turn the picture here on the blog of Rye in his scout shirt holding his merit badges and Chris came up on the wall. What an appropriate picture. Immediately I started crying. That's what this is all about honoring a man who even though ill still did his best taking care of others "his scouts." It has been a rough road but our family has learned so much. I wouldn't change anything (Chris might-since he's the one in pain:) But I have learned how much the Savior loves each of us and how we can't do this on our own, we need each other and Heavenly Father.
Last night while Katie and I were watching TV (food network - Unwrapped) she says to me "I'm going to miss daddy when he dies." I told her it was going to be along time before she would have to "miss him."
Love ya, Ricki

No comments: