Tuesday, April 1, 2014

I know I haven't written for a while and wayyyyyyy wayyyy to much has happened since then.  But as of March 22 Chris went on Hospice.  He is in TONS and TONS of pain.  He takes a lot of pain meds which isn't like him but the pain is so intense.  He doesn't want to be totally drugged yet.  He weighs 137 pounds (at 6 feet tall), the tumor in his neck is HUGE.  It is cutting into his vocal chords which makes it hard for him to talk - and when he does it sounds like he is angry.  The tumor in his groin is also HUGE.  He looks like an Ethiopian - you can see all his ribs and his shoulder blades. makes me cry.  His left thigh is swollen.  It's HUGE he is just about to the point where he can't wear pants because his thigh is so big.  He sleeps a lot. 
A few weeks ago the mission president emailed me and said that "he felt that Sister Wach and her father needed to Skype"  I asked the mission president if Sister Wach could please call instead.  I didn't want her to remember her father the way he looks now.  I want her to remember him last year at this time when we took family pictures before she left (which April 3rd is her one year mark!!!)  Chris was very tired as he talked to her.  I put it on speaker phone so that I could help out.  He told her that he was proud of her, he loved her and that she wasn't to come home for his funeral - that that day she was to work even harder and let others know about the plan of salvation.  Meg ended by saying "dad I expect you to come and visit me!!"  It was a hard call but I am so grateful for the mission president and him being in tune with the spirit.
Ryan is almost done with his mission paperwork.  I was trying to get it done before Chris died so that he could be part of the fun (on this side of the veil) but he will just have to cheer from his side.  I need Ryan to be an Elder by May 31st when Katie gets baptized.  If he is an Elder he can baptize her and give her the gift of the holy ghost which would be totally awesome because it came from Chris.
Sunday, March 23rd Chris wanted to go to church early and say "good bye" to everyone in the ward.  Just in case he couldn't get out of bed to come. He wanted us to come thirty minutes early.  Which worked out great because it was ward conference and the primary was to sing before church started.  So, Chris got to hear Katie sing and then Rye blessed the sacrament, Tay and Jacob passed and Tay passed the bread and water to Chris.  It was very touching.  After the sacrament I took Chris home.  That's all he can take because of the pain.  He uses a wheel chair and has a shower chair in the bath tub.  Sunday, March 30th Chris went up and bore his testimony in sacrament meeting.  No dry eyes in the place:( 
Today, Katie asked me "will we ever be happy again?"  Tay has been practicing Taps on his trumpet so that he can play it at the graveside (that is what Chris wanted) and Jacob has been practicing "If I were a Rich Man" from Fiddler on the Roof on his violin (another thing Chris wanted). Chris' brother David died on January 29th (Tay's bday).  Chris and I flew up to OR (Chris could have never made the 12 hour trip there and 12 hours back in the car).  Chris gave the Plan of Salvation talk which I video taped - and so Chris will give his own talk at his funeral.
We have been struggling with insurance companies.  When we went to are last doctor's appointment the patient advocate pulled us in her office and told us that we had about $100,000 in unpaid bills that hadn't been paid since August.  That "no one" was paying.  We thought we had Medicare as primary and Blue Cross Blue Shield as secondary.  Wellllllll.... who knows what happened but the two of them have been fighting about who pays.  So, for two days I couldn't eat or sleep!!!  We finally got a hold of a person "who cared" (after being on the phone for 6 hours one day - and getting NO WHERE).  She emailed us paperwork, we emailed it back and she said it would take about three weeks.  She hoped that Medicare would back pay everything, since we were suppose to be on it.  I spoke with are patient advocate and she said that if they didn't pay that she would ask the drug companies to pay for the chemo drugs and they would wave the doctor's fees.  We are still waiting to see what happens.  Chris and I have cried a lot.  Poor Chris especially - leaving his family in debt because of him.  We still have a week and a half before we should know anything.  Chris had wanted to do radiation on his hip to help with the pain but because of not knowing who was going to pay he decided to go on hospice so that he could still be seen by a doc and get his meds.  We had hoped that he would be able to get off of hospice but it doesn't look like that is what is going to happen.
If you want to say "good bye" to Chris I wouldn't wait to long.  Last night the social worker brought over a paper explaining what the signs were and Chris has three of them. He wanted to make it to are 24th wedding anniversary - April 13th but that is doubtful.
We no longer wish him to stay here on earth.  He is and has suffered soooo much in the past five years that we just hope that he goes quickly and without so much pain.  We are excited to think of him pain free and being greeted by so many people who love him.
Hospice brought over a kit that they call the "E kit" and we call the "death kit"  because of what is inside the box.  It's all liquid meds - things the nurse will use to prepare him to pass.  I cried when I opened it.
We are trying to "continue life as normal" but it is hard knowing that at any time Chris will be gone.  Sad but glad at the same time. 
Sorry, this has been all over the place but that's how my thoughts are at this time.  I know that I have probably forgotten to write things that I would have liked to have written but I don't have a lot of strength these days.  Five kids, a sick husband and I now work from home.  Thanks to Heavenly father and Jesus Christ I can get through this.  One day at a time.  I couldn't do this without them.  I know that they are carrying me as I struggle to do what needs to be done.  Life goes on even when you don't want it to.
Love, Ricki

11 comments:

Ashley Ziegler said...

Ricki, I'm a friend of Meg's. I'm so grateful you shared this. I have been thinking of your family ever since your last post and since Meg left on her mission.

My dad was just diagnosed with cancer too and he is young like Chris is. It is hard but I just have to say I'm so grateful for your family's example. I can't even begin to explain the kind of strength your family is bringing to me as I watch my father go through what Chris is going through.

It is so bittersweet and I send thoughts, hugs and prayers to your family during this difficult time. But, like you, I'm grateful for the Plan of Salvation and that families are forever. I know that no matter what happens to my dad, I will always have Christ. And because of your testimony in Christ, I have one too.

Anonymous said...

Ricki,

How much we love and admire the Wach family. I know very well the pain and the love that you are feeling at this time. It is very bittersweet and never have I seen it handled with such grace and faith.

Please tell Chris how much we have loved him and care about him. He was a very important person to Randy, one of the few that he really felt connected to in our ward. They may have rarely spoken, but Randy held Chris in the highest esteem, and that had nothing to do with his cancer struggle.

Ellaree also had a special feeling for Chris. She tends to be very shy around adults, and especially men, but she never was with Chris. He was like a "big" friend and she was very comfortable with him. Not many people have been able to pull that off!

We loved coming over to your home and bringing Ellaree's hand me downs. It gave me the chance to get to know you better. Please know that you are a family who made a difference in our lives, as you have done in the lives of so many others. I pray that you will have angels to bear you up and you will be encircled in the Lord's healing wings. Please know of our love for you and for Chris.

Love,
Julie Cawley Hanson

Anonymous said...

Ricki,

This is Chanelle - Sonia Pineda's daughter. I just wanted to let you know that love you so much and I love your husband and you and your family have a special place in my heart. My heart is aching for you and your family and I mourn with you.

If it is possible I would like to say goodbye to him and give you a big hug and a shoulder to cry on if you will have me. You all are in my prayers.

I am sorry that you all have been struggling with the hospital bills and insurance companies. I would be happy to make donations. Have you tried holding a fundraiser of some sort? Please let me know and don't hesitate to ask for help.

Please thank Chris for me for always being such an inspiration and a ray of sunshine. He was always so nice and very spiritual. I miss the good times and will especially miss knowing he is on this side of the veil.

I would also like to thank you for always being so funny and wonderful to me. I miss you and the good times too.

If you ever want to talk you can find me on facebook or call or text me @ 801-637-9979.

Love,
Chanelle

Colette said...

Oh gosh, my dear friend. I love you guys so much. Ricki - you are a master juggler, chief chameleon and the love you have for others is as close to the Savior's love of anyone I've ever known. I'll pray continually for your comfort and peace during these precious days - thank you friend for all you have done for me and Eric during our battle. You and Chris will never know the impact you've had on our journey - I tremble to imagine how I would have done it without your wisdom, advice and love. You guided me so much in how I've dealt with my kids and I'm forever in your debt. I wish I was close and could come rescue you as you have done for me... but know that I'm here. Always here. Always praying. Always thinking of you and your sweet family. Tell Chris we love him, tell him his strength has seen us through many days. When, at times, there was no energy left - it was looking at your amazing family that helped us take another step and get through another day. We love you so much, please know I'm sending the biggest hug I can from across the miles... to one of the most amazing families I've ever known.

Love,
Colette, Eric & Family

Anonymous said...

Ricki, you have been on my mind for a long time. I'm just thinking warm thoughts for you and our family. Praying for resolution to all the bills with the hospital, for peace during Chris' final days. I am so glad to know you Ricki. Much love.

Rymeng said...

Ricki,

This is Ryan Meng. I am not sure if you remember us, but we lived right down the street from you and moved about 7 years ago. Chris served with me in the Young Men's presidency. I have been thinking about him a lot since we have been away. I have checked regularly on this blog for updates.
Please tell Chris how much I Love him and how grateful I am that I got a chance to serve with him. He taught me so much about how to serve. He showed me what a good priesthood leader looked like. He showed me that it is okay to let your guard down and just have fun with those that you serve. When I came into that position I constantly had my guard up, but when I saw Chris interact with the young men.... it showed me that is what the gospel looks like in real life. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Ricki,
Oh what a difficult time this is for you and your family. I want you and Chris to know how much I loved the gospel doctrine class when he taught. I always looked forward to it because of how much I learned from him and the spirit that he would bring in to that room. You both are some of the most loving and friendly people that we have met. I know this has been a very courageous battle Chris has fought. Our prayers are with you and may the Lord bless you with that special spirit and comfort.
Love, the Aiono's

Fleck Family said...

Ricki, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Tell Chris I am so grateful for the time I worked with him at Franklin :) How glad I am of the example he has set for those around him. Sending prayers for all of you, I know our Father loves you and is so very aware of your needs. Helen

Wanda Jean Wach said...

I am so grateful you took the time and used your inner strength to write of Chris and his situation...and fill us all in on how the rest of the family is doing as well. HUGS and LOVE to all of you. I am so grateful I was able to speak briefly with Chris last week. xoxoxoxoxoxoo

Wanda Jean Wach said...

I am so grateful you took the time and used your inner strength to write of Chris and his situation...and fill us all in on how the rest of the family is doing as well. HUGS and LOVE to all of you. I am so grateful I was able to speak briefly with Chris last week. xoxoxoxoxoxoo

Katie said...

I've always loved you and Chris. I can't believe it's been so many years since his first cancer episode. Much love and prayers are being sent your way.