Sunday, April 6, 2014

I want to thank all of you for your prayers, visits, words of encouragement (through email, phone calls, text, facebook) and treats.  You keep us going.  I'm so glad that Chris is getting to hear, here in this life what he has meant to so many of you. We've had some touching moments as some of his young men have come over and thanked him for his example and shared stories of good times they had together. We love all of you so much and are so grateful to each of you.  Keep the Dr. Pepper coming!!:)P:) lol jk
Chris does look better than he did on Tuesday.  I was pretty sure it was the end.  I called the hospice nurse and she came over and checked his vitals.  all normal.  She and the doc decided to take him off of one of his meds.  That has made a big difference in his sleeping all day and not eating or drinking.  He is still in tons of pain.  The thigh continues to swell.  He doesn't have a big appetite but has cravings--- last night at 10:30 pm he asked me to take him to the grocery store to get a donut (Katie was still awake and she came with us also) and so that we could spend time together wandering around the store (Katie pushed him in his wheelchair - we laugh at ourselves because we find ourselves calling it a "stroller" all the time- I guess we've been parents of young children for a long time. lol).  As Katie pushed him in the wheel chair (almost running him into everything) I walked next to Chris and we held hands.  I'm sure the whole thing looked a little silly - but it was special to me.  Something I won't forget.  He doesn't leave his bed much - it just hurts to much.  He saves his energy for getting up to use the rest room.  The nurse talked about a decatheter and he said "not yet."  Last night was hard for me as I sent Chris, Ryan, Taylor and Jacob (my brother John and friend Randy went also to help out) to the priesthood session.  This was the first time all three boys got to go.  Usually, they go out to eat afterwards but Chris could only stay for thirty minutes til the pain became to much so Rye drove him home.  Then Rye went back to the stake center.  Thinking about my boys not having a father to go with and have those memories of being together - kill me.  My heart breaks.  My brother and brother in law have reassured me that they will look out for my boys and will take them.  It just hurts.  This is when I am reminded that this isn't how my life was suppose to go.  I had different plans:) 
This week I've been busy with dentist and doctor appointments.  Tay has one cavity, everyone else none:)  Jacob went for his scout physical (in July).  Got to do it while I have insurance.  We also went to get Rye's TB test and of course they were out of them!!!  The nurse said that they had a lot of perspective missionaries come in this week.  Grrrr.. is all I can say. 
Wednesday, I went to take Jacob to his violin lesson and he burst into tears.  We talked and he told me that he just can't play that song.  That he would never be able to play it again without crying and being sad.  I told him that it was alright.  Whatever he wanted.  He went up to the door of his teacher and told her that he wouldn't be coming anymore and thanked her.  (Let me know if your child needs a violin teacher - she is amazing!!) and ......Taylor decided that he was quitting Track.  He said that he was just to tired after school. :(:(
Coooool   story:  my brother went downtown to get his haircut at a barber shop by the Conference Center.  As he was getting his haircut Elder Holland came in and got his haircut:)  The two of them started talking and my brother started telling him about are family.  In the end Elder Holland told my brother that he would be adding are families name to his prayer that night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lucky, lucky me - he's one of my favorites:)  Conference was AMAZING like always.  I think I enjoyed the Sunday morning session the best. 
Tender moment I don't want to forget - right now Katie is in on the bed with Chris reading him a book:)
Please forgive me if you don't get a reply from me or we don't call you back - Chris does a lot of sleeping and I try to get the phone calls returned when he wakes up but he's pretty good at falling asleep again quickly.  It's wonderful - so many.  It's just that so many means time away from other things that I need to do, for example - laundry (yuck!!).  Also, I started working from home.  I work for Chick fil A - they came after me and asked me to be in charge of their stores "Spirit Nights" I make lots of phone calls (fliers, count out stickers, get the cow to functions) to schools and PTA's (which I absolutely love!!!:) After Chris passes away I think that I will go and get myself hired by a few other stores.  This job is "sooo Meeee" I love to talk on the phone and I love schools and PTA's so I feel like I've died and gone to heaven. lolol.  Also my kids are off track and I like to spend time with them doing things outside the house so Chris can rest.  I'm just trying to keep up with life.  Man it's hard!!!!  But I want you to know that your words mean a lot to us.  We love all of you and are so grateful for your friendship.  Keep us in your prayers.  Pray that Chris will pass soon so that he can be out of pain.  He has so many people that will greet him on the other side that he will be fine.  Like going from one room to the other.  We will be sad but we will also smile knowing that he isn't in any more pain.  It is soooo hard to watch your best friend in pain, and knowing that there is NOTHING that you can do to help them.

3 comments:

Debby Brown said...

My Dear Sweet Angel - I want you to know that You are in my heart and prayers. I know and realize what you are going through because of Jim.Ricki, there is strength in numbers and believe me you are not alone. Keep you chin high and know that you are loved. Thank you for the update. May God be with you Sweetie

Anonymous said...

Ricci I wanted to let you know how much your family inspires me. We love you and wish the best for you. Your family and especially Chris are in our prayers.
Danni Morgan

veraccs said...

I want you to know that Chris was one of the best supervisors I ever had at Verizon. I often think of the time he told me to focus on the solution not the problem when he coached me. you might ask your Bishop about a blessing of release. my husband gave one to his mother that was on hospice and she passed away two days later. my prayers are with you and your family.