Saturday, April 12, 2014

Right after I finished posting the last blog that I wrote I went into check on Chris and he had gotten himself fully dressed and was "trying" to go somewhere.  We couldn't understand where he wanted to go.  Rye worked that night and when he came home he had brought a Slurpee for Chris (yep, I cried).  Thursday morning (around 12:30am) Chris fell out of bed. At 4:30am he got fully dressed including cologne!!!!  That afternoon Jim (my brother in law and Chris' friend growing up) came and stayed with Chris so that the rest of us (along with cousins, aunt and grandma) could go bowling.  Jim was kind enough to take Chris to a hardware store (Chris still wants to finish the cabinet in the basement bathroom).  I think the place is called Homes for Humanity they have stuff to make houses (I've never been there).  Chris wanted to buy something and Jim was smart enough to pull the guy aside and ask him if the parts that Chris buys could be brought back  (he explained the situation) and the gentleman gave Chris the parts for free :) (insert crying).  Because things are a little more complicated with just leaving the house I had promised the kids bowling three days in a row.  We finally got to go but....that made it so that I wouldn't have time to make a nice dinner for the Sister missionaries that I had signed up a few weeks ago to feed.  ........and no way was I backing out!!  In Portugal someone is feeding my daughter and sometime soon someone, somewhere will feed my son:)  So....I took them tooooo...... Chick fil A (did you guess it before I said it????:)  Perfect.  I got my meal free because I work there, Tay had been the cow and had a free meal, and missionaries get 50% off their meals.  It was a little stressful getting there and back in an hour but we did it and thank goodness they like Chick fil A (I even fed them dessert - hee, hee).  Funny story- while we were at Chick fil A we left Rye home to watch Chris (yes, we brought him home food) and some kind woman came by and brought us the yummiest chicken enchiladas.  Funny part (or maybe embarrassing).....Rye couldn't remember who brought them.  We went over what she looked like.  A few details of what he remembers her being in church activities.....anyway........I thanked all the people I thought it could be from his description......they were all wrong!!!  So.......the person who made the yummy chicken enchiladas (I need the recipe) will you please make yourself known to ME (not to my kids - lol and thank you).  We have gone over phone etiquette (writing down name and number on paper if I'm not home) and.....writing down names of people who come by, if I'm not home.  (If you came by last night Rye knew one of your names and the other I had to play "the guessing game" thank goodness you left recipes from the wonderful meal you brought last week -because I was able to figure it out. lol. and Katie loved the birds nest that you made :))
When I left Chris that evening to go to Chick fil A he wasn't very coherent.  Lots of mumbling and jerking motions.  Some neighbors came by to see him later and he talked with them just like he was fine and then some of his young men came over to visit and the same thing happened.  He did kick the young men out after awhile because they were to noisy. lol.  Boys to noisy?? 
Thank you again to all of you who have come by and checked on us, spoiled my kids with love and attention,  brought us treats (to die for cinnamon rolls - which are all gone - hint, hint McDonald family:), Wes, who took Chris to Lowe's last week. Brought us meals (I've gotten new recipes to add to my recipe book).  I haven't asked for meals but some of you know me way to well and either just bring them or tell me your making us a meal and I can either eat it that night or put it in the freezer for later (good one!!! You got me). 
Thursday to Friday and Friday to Saturday Chris slept through the night.  Man it is amazing what sleep can do for a person.  I feel nicer than usual!!!!  (Don't try me!!)
Last night Jacob left for a scout camp out.  He was worried about going that Chris might die while he was gone.  I told him that he wouldn't that the nurse had come earlier and checked all his vitals and that everything seemed fine.  I also told him that I had already gotten all the cell numbers from the leaders going that had Verizon because where they were going - only Verizon works:):):):)  He smiled real big at that comment. Go Verizon!! Lol.     And of course later that night Chris was in so much pain alllll over and he kept grabbing his chest.  He told us "goodbye" that he wasn't sure if he was going to wake up tomorrow and that he hoped not to.  I kind of got mad at him and told him that he better not make a Liar out of me!!!  I told him what I had told Jacob.  He said he "would do his best not to die that night - but the next night was fair game!"
When I think of my sister in law and all the work she had to go through with my brother in law for two years and not being able to leave the house because she couldn't leave him alone and every night for two years not sleeping through the night because she had to give him his meds I cry.  I'm not handling "just this week" all that well and right now I'm spoiled.  I have wonderful friends and relatives who have stayed with him or my kids who are off track (and neighbors they can call if they need to) and spring break this coming week.  I don't know how she did it. I don't know how I will do it when this spring break/off track time comes to a close (April 22). I've been spoiled to do all the things I enjoy outside of the house for five years. 
 I  know that my Savior lives that he suffered all that Chris is suffering and all that the rest of the family is suffering and will suffer after Chris is gone.  I am so grateful that I can turn to him every minute of the day for guidance and comfort.  One of the speakers in General Conference talked about a person that would never trade their trials if they could.  I can relate.  This has, is and will be a difficult trial but because of it I have learned so much, come so much closer to my elder brother and my Heavenly Father.  I know they love each of us and will do all they can in their power to be there for us we just have to "call."  We love each of you so much.

3 comments:

Colette said...

As always... your ability to write, juggle and show such intense compassion for Chris and the kids humbles me. Much love and many prayers for YOU and your amazing family. Love you... :#

Wanda Jean Wach said...

You could be an author, Ricki...seriously, you make the reader live in your moments, too--very descriptive and with a range of emotions to go with the written narratives. May your days be full to keep your mind off the medical issues, and your nights quieter and more peaceful. Love and hugs, Aunt Wanda

Anonymous said...

Hello. my name is VAnessa Morales. I used to work with your husband at Verizon. We were on the loyalty team together. Please tell him we all miss him and I am keeping your family in my prayers. He's been an inspiration in my life and I always remember his positive attitude and positive advice. Gracias CHris y tu vida es admirable. God Bless