Monday, June 7, 2010

Well, my car has been officially "broken in." "Someone" put a 1 inch scratch on the trunk of the car. "Someone" (not me!!) closed the garage door while the trunk was still up, which caused the garage door and trunk to become stuck. To get them apart we had to push the garage door out with our feet which caused the scratch. All I can say is thank goodness it was the end of the day and I was exhausted or "Someone" might have lost his life:) Then two days later Katie and I are in the car waiting outside the school for the boys when Katie starts screaming and then proceeds to pee all over the seat and floor of the van!!!!!! Again all I can say is thank goodness for the rubber floor mats that I had just purchased a few days earlier and thank goodness for scotch guard which allowed it to stay on the top of the upholstery until I could wipe it up. Yes, everyone is still alive!!:)
I mentioned the other story first because I don't want to cry already today but last Saturday was AMAZING!!! We had so much fun seeing all of you, some of you we haven't seen for years (some of you have changed:) and it was fun being able to meet some of Chris' co-workers. The Cross Country Team and adults who helped did an AMAZING, FANTASTIC, OUT OF THIS WORLD job. It was so well organized and executed. We had a DJ there and Star Wars fighters and even Spider Man came. Chris and I want to thank EVERYONE who helped. We were even able to use the bathrooms at the high school - someone had to be there with a key. Thank you, thank you. We will NEVER forget this event in our lives. Words can not express how we feel. I can only say how grateful Chris and I are to know each of you and feel of your love and concern for our family. It's all Chris, he's wonderful!!:) I have now learned how it feels to be on the receiving end of something big and not have the words to express how I feel because I am so overwhelmed with gratitude and love. Again, thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We are planning on going to Disney World in August. To make more memories thanks to all of you!
After the 5K Chris went home and slept. Then he had a craving for ice cream so we went to Leatherby's. If you've ever been there you know it's yummy. Big scoops of ice cream. I am happy to help Chris out whenever he has a craving.:)
Monday, (Memorial Day) we drove to Ogden and played at the Dinosaur Park then we ate at a place that our family ate at when Chris and I were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. We had tons of fun. You eat in a covered wagon. It's dark with twinkling stars, and a campfire for light and tons of real/stuffed animals and snakes and dirt as the floor. Kids loved it. Katie just wanted to look around. She got a kick out of the bathroom faucet. It was a water pump just like in the old days. She told the hostess of the restaurant that "she had a beautiful bathroom" hee, hee.
I had to take Meg to the doctor and then to the hospital for an x-ray. She had a lump on her wrist that was really hurting her. She said it was hard to drive and write. Thank goodness nothing serious. They call it a gangling cyst. The doctor told us that in the olden days they would take a Bible and hit it until it was gone. Yikes!! Doc said it would be better just to let it go away on its own:) Ice packs and Ibuprofen. And we just returned from the Dentist because poor Rye has been in a lot of pain due a sore in his mouth. I looked at it last night and it looked like two of his teeth were black and his gums looked weird. I think I must have been really tired. Dentist said he has a canker sore and that I should feed him pineapple and oranges and . . . just kidding! For any of you that have had one you know how badly they hurt and you shouldn't be eating those foods. Dentist said BRAT (no he's not a brat:) diet (banana, rice, applesauce and toast), it'll take about 2 weeks to go away and that they are caused by STRESS!! Poor Rye.
Thursday morning Chris helped pass out yearbooks at the middle school and then he went and had chemo. He lost 10 lbs since last chemo weigh-in. Doctor says that cancer is responding well to chemo. Lump in shoulder is smaller. In fact he and the social worker talked and decided that Hospice can wait for awhile longer. Yeah!!! We spoke with social worker for about an hour. She told Chris that it was a good idea to write letters and do DVDs for us. Chris said he would do it when he got sick and couldn't work. I told him that that is not how I wanted to remember him. Talked about kids and support groups for them. She also gave us paperwork to fill out about what Chris' last wishes are. Chris told her that I already knew them but she said that they need it in writing and that it will be a lot easier on us because we will already be a mess. Ahhh, paperwork:) It was a very long day. Thursdays have now been dubbed as "Pizza Night" at our house. Pizza is ordered from one of our favorite places and delivered to our house. Makes my life easier. It is amazing how exhausted one can feel after sitting in a chair for 4 hours!
Chris has been very ill. A lot of throwing up. And very exhausted. I took the kids swimming Friday to give Chris some rest. Saturday we went to a Brazilian party at a friends house. It was soo fun, lots of great food. Brazilians know how to party:) Chris was ill, threw up on the way to the party but couldn't refuse to eat (he went to Brazil on his mission). The hostess did a lot of work, so much food.
Sunday was church. Again I was ok until we started practicing our father's day song. Chris was again very exhausted so he slept a lot. He was also telling me how his hip hurt and his stomach was killing him. He slept horribly last night. Lots of tossing and turning and wandering around the house.
Today Meg and Rye started cross country. It starts at 7 am everyday. (Yuck) and they both ran 6 1/2 miles. Way to go! Soon we will be on our way to get Meg and Rye their physicals for cross country and Rye also for scout camp. Chris and I were laughing because Chris has to have a physical so that he can go on the Grand Teton High Adventure Camp with Rye this summer. Think he'll pass?! Doctor told us to bring paperwork next visit and he'll do what he can:):):) I know what your thinking but Chris has wanted to take the boys to this camp for years, he had signed up to go before we knew that he had a third cancer. I'm sure he'll do great. I am tempted to follow him up and stay in a hotel like I did last year when he went to Zions. Then if he needs anything I'm right there. (separation anxiety:)
This is a busy week for us. Tomorrow I go on a field trip with Jacob and Jacob will get spacers put in so that next week he can get a spreader put in the top of his mouth (poor boy). Wednesday is Field Day. I look forward to making snow cones all day. I will be on a sugar high due to Blue raspberry snow cones and making my famous Dr. Pepper snow cone. Yum! (I really only help out for selfish reasons:) Thursday, Chris has chemo and I have a doctors appointment to do more tests. Friday, is Tay and Jacobs last day of school and Meg gets to job shadow a lady at BYU in the art museum. How exciting. Life is crazy, hope all of yours are a little quieter (doubt it, it's the end of the school year/summer:)
Love ya, Ricki

5 comments:

Kristen Wilson said...

So great to hear all your news. I heard your walk was so awesome...wish we could've been there too. I will call you about August...we now have a wedding...IN UTAH...and don't want to end up crossing paths! So, Russ has had two ganglion cysts. He has had surgery, but unfortunately, they come back. Sorry to Meg. I have a small one, but only bugs me from time to time. I don't know how you're doing it all, but you're doing great, you tough lady you! Wish I had been there to make snowcones with you again...miss that. Field day here is pretty lame...and done in April because it gets too hot otherwise. Hope to talk soon! Love ya!!

Aunt Wanda Wach said...

I have been checking your blog site almost daily and was so relieved to see an entry this morning..written on June 7. Sounds like you are all humming along in your lives with so many activities sandwiched in between the tough times. This is as it should be; "carry on, carry on, carry on". Not easy, but I am so grateful for the busy things you are all doing to help you cope with the situation. I was told once, however, that we don't "cope": we either "deal or dump", so when we can't "dump" a situation, we "deal" with it. You are "dealing" with it admirably. We love you all so much. Thank you for updatng your blog.
Aunt Wanda

LaLena said...

Hey Ricki, its me LaLena. I just found your blog. I have been looking for you on Face Book, but obviously haven't found you because you are not there. Then Stephanie (used to be) Sorenson sent me the announcement to your walk. I was completely shocked and saddened by the news. I am glad you are blogging. I wished I could have found you under happier circumstances. After reading your blog, I am reminded what an amazing person you are. You really helped me through a tough time and my prayers are with you and your family. I couldn't attend the 5K because I live in Chicago, but I did donate some money to your America First account. Keep a positive attitude, you will get through this. Tell Chris Hi from both John and I.

LaLena said...

Oh Ricki, I just got done reading your entire blog. I am so sorry you, Chris, and your children are going through this whole thing. It makes the problems I have been facing these last couple of years seem miniscule. Sorry to post another comment, but I hadn't read your whole blog last night and didn't know the whole story.
Ever since I found out what was going on, I haven't been able to stop thinking about you guys. I have even had a couple of dreams about you and Chris. Weird, I know:) I just wanted you to know how much yours and Chris's friendship meant to us. It helped us through a really tough time in our lives. John still talks about how much fun he had playing basketball and kick the can at scout camp. I even think He (John) broke out one of his (Chris's) teeth because they are both so competitive. I am amazed at yours and Chris's strength. The kids and I will be in Utah next month and would love to come see you if possible. Hang in there, you are one of the strongest people I know. Our prayers and thought are with you.
Love, LaLena

Nichol C said...

Ricki, I work with Chris and I have to say you are an AMAZING person. You show such strength and encouragement for your kids and for your amazing Husband.. I dont know how you do it but keep it up. I have to tell you that Chris has offered to help me if I need it at my new house and I love that about him. He is so sick and he has offered to help me out if I need anything. Please know that I will be moving about 2 blocks away and I am happy to help you and your family if I can.