Monday, October 1, 2012

Quick update since I need to go to bed:)  We left for the hospital this morning at 9:40 after asking r neighbor (Deniese) to take r kids to church, help with my primary class and help get them lunch after church until Meg could get here.  she had church and was being sustained in her new calling.  Thank goodness for Deniese:):)  We got there at about 10am I pulled up to the front of the building and Chris got out of the 'trunk"  ER people watching.  We signed in, paid are copay and all the while Chris was in tons of pain.  They took us to the closest room (I hated that room - the doors to the ER opened basically into r room - smells (usually bad), and noises (usually bad) could be heard in r room).  Gave Chris morphine and basically that was it.  Chris insisted on getting the MRI.  Resident said "no" so we asked to see the doctor he said "sure" we waited and waited and waited.   Chris in sooo much pain.  He had a couple of doses of morphine.  They wouldn't let him eat or drink so he hadn't eaten or had anything to drink since last night (I was getting angry by 3). They came in and did paperwork and then we didn't see them again.  The nurse was kind enough to go to the MRI floor and see what was happening.  Finally at 6:30 they came for him.  Very, very long day.  Chris in so much pain really couldn't sleep and he wanted the lights out so I tried to sleep but the chairs are a little to hard and the room was soo cold (that's the way Chris wanted it) I put his clothes that he wore to the hospital over me to keep warm and thank goodness I had brought socks and slippers.  I saw Chris again at about 7:45 and we waited for the results.  I had called my dad earlier in the day, he was in Idaho - 8 hours away, he came to the hospital - he is spending the night with Chris.  He has it down pat after spending 14 nights with Chris when he had his whipple.  My mom, sister Cherie and Meg took care of everyone else.  Meg left at 7 so that she could get back for school tomorrow.  My mom is going to take care of kids tomorrow since we are off track.  And my sister made dinner for my family - Meg said it was wonderful.  Crazy start to r off track time.  After the doctor gave us the news he said that he had called the back doctor and that he was coming in to look at Chris' MRI.  He mentioned the name Dr. Rich and I thought that sounded familiar.  It was.  It is the same doctor that performed his back surgery in 2009.  We gave him r sob story and he fit us in tomorrow at 8:30 am.  On the MRI it showed L4 and L5 on the right side bulging.  L5 and S1 look like they are but he won't know until he gets in there.  If they are he will fix them also.  After he left the social worker came in and informed us (some of it I already knew) that IMC is not a preferred hospital for Blue Cross Blue shield and she wondered if we wanted to go to another hospital in network.  Of course Chris was in to much pain and "hello - it had been a lllllooonnnnggg day!!" One that I don't want to repeat.  Sooo, will just have to deal with the bill when it comes:(  The doctor said that he would do his best to get us out quick. ha ha not to quick:)   "No socks for you!!"  Chris was taken to a room on the 14th floor.  Pretty exciting that is one floor we hadn't been to - it was being completed the other times we were here.  My brother in law Jim and my dad gave Chris a blessing and I headed home.  I will get Rye and Tay up and out the door and then head to the hospital.  Grateful for it being just "the back"  Chris kept telling the doctor "this is good news"  I'm sure the doc thought we were crazy:) No cancer pushing on his nerves.  Chris has no idea how this happened.  It has been a very emotional week but it's almost over.  Chris will soon be back to his old self and hopefully he will be healed enough to make it to Disney World.  It's amazing how quickly life can change.  Thanks everyone for all of your prayers, love and Dr. Pepper (lol).
Love, Ricki

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still keeping you guys in my prayers.

Monte

Colette said...

You've got some broad shoulders, sister! Keep the faith and stay strong.

Wanda Jean Wach said...

This is GOOD news! I can feel the relief in Chris' comment, too. Hoping to read another update soon, and then to hear you are all headed to Disney World!!