Monday, May 10, 2010

I'm not sure how to start this blog. It has been a verryyy loooongg day. My heart feels like it's about to break. Dr. Whizenant told us that Chris only has 6 months, maybe a year to live. There is no cure for the cancer that he has now and it is VERY aggressive. He has cancer in his back and neck. Soon it will attack his stomach or liver or both at which time it will be fatal. He explained how "the end" usually goes and made us an appointment to meet with the Hospice/Social Worker to discuss questions we have regarding what is going to happen and get counseling. Dr. Whizenant is having Chris do chemotherapy. He will do 2 weeks on 1 off. He will do this until he dies or can't take it any longer. The Dr. told Chris that he doesn't need to be a "hero" that when he needs pain pills or shots that all he needs to do is ask. He said that his back will start hurting soon. His first chemo is this Thursday, he said that it will take 5 hours and than after that they should take about 2 hours. I have cried and cried all day. How can I raise 5 children by myself? All I ever wanted to be was a stay-at-home mom who volunteered at the school and every once in a while cleaned house.
We told the children tonight. Some cried, some ran and hid. Meg went to a friends house to cry. I can't image what is running through their heads. I told them that if they needed to talk or cry to come to us and that if they felt like they couldn't that I would take them to whomever they wanted to talk too. I told them what strong, special spirits they must have been in the premortal existence. This is a reeaallyyy tough trial that they are going to go through. They don't just have a "dad" they have an "amazing dad" who makes a difference in the lives of everyone that he comes in contact with, a positive, full of life, let's play, devoted, hard working, spiritual, stubborn, great example of the church and how to live a righteous life, loves children, funny, (thinks he) knows everything (don't tell him I said that :), full of energy, a fighter, ....
It's going to be hard watching Chris become weaker and weaker.
So many of you ask what you can do for our family, what I ask is that you be patient with each of us especially my children. They are probably going to act out in negative ways or clam shut and not want to participate. Please I beg of you to put yourself in their shoes. The unknown is scary (just ask me). Be patient and loving. This "adventure" for our family is going to be long and difficult. We will get through it. I pray that we will be stronger and will learn what Heavenly Father wants us to learn. We probably won't be very reliable- please forgive us, we used to be. But I'm learning to be flexible and "go with the flow."
I have a strong testimony of Jesus Christ and his sacrifice for me and my family. I know He loves each of us and is there for us. (He's going to get pretty tired of hearing from me:)
Please enjoy Chris. Thank him. Let him know how much he means to you. This has to be verryy tough on him to know that he won't watch his children grow up (I told him he had to fight hard to make it to Meg's graduation this time next year). Katie makes him the most upset, knowing that she will likely not remember him.
For those of you who work with him. Don't let him tell you that he can't go out to lunch because he "has to save money". I told him we will manage. He wants to be at work. He is a hard worker and enjoys his job. He needs to be at work that's how he copes. He wouldn't want to sit at home (I'd just nag him with a "honey do" list). It will be hard on him when the time comes that he can't work.
Pray that Chris and I can help our children (and ourselves) cope with the "adventure" that we are on. We love you all.
Love, Ricki

17 comments:

Kristi said...

My heart is breaking for you, and yet I know that pity is not your style... You've always been the one to take care of others. And you will continue to do so. Like I said before, we would love to host your darling family for a fun road trip to Vegas. I mean it! And you were so right on the bullseye... Chris isn't just a good man, he's AMAZING! From the first time we met him about 15 years ago, we felt something special about him. He is such a fighter. We are so sorry he has to suffer this way. You Ricki, well... I can't even say what I'm feeling for you. I'll write you a letter. You are a special person, one that too must have been a very strong spirit in the pre-mortal life. Thank you for sharing this difficult journey. It has taught me many things... I admire you so much! I will be in touch. Hugs and kisses.... And tears.... When I see you, I'll wipe yours, if you'll wipe mine. Love you.

Bonnie Wright said...

Words don't seem enough in this situation, but I hope you know that we are thinking about and praying for your family. Let us know what you need from us.

Anonymous said...

Ricki, if there is ANYTHING you need, do not hesitate to call. Chris was there to support me through some very tough times in my life and I want to be there for him. We love you guys.

Ryan and Kathryn Ockey and family

pop said...

Dear Chris and Ricki,
I'm soo sorry for what you all are going through. I kind of know what you are going through. My father passed away when I was 12 from cancer. They didn't know much about cancer back in those days so there wasn't much in the way of drugs to take of the pain so it was not good wen he was in so much pain and we couldn't do anything about the pain. It was sure agony.
We Love you both! When Chris was called as my counceler I had no doubt that he was a good man because the Lord confirmed that he was. I'm so great full that I had that opportunity so serve with him.
If there is anything we can do for all of you other than pray. Please let us know.
Much Love, Max and Marcia Newell

Anonymous said...

Oh Ricki...what terrible news. We are not far away if you need anything and I still work graveyards and am home during the days.

Jason Robey

Marla said...

There really are no words. Love you guys and I hope we can see you this summer. (((big hugs)))

~Marla

ljaxon said...

Chris & Ricki,
It's true that words are not enough but I feel like I need to tell you how much your friendship has influenced our family. You brought our neighborhood together and helped us all make lifelong friends. Ashley will forever cherish her nickname from you, Chris, and the acceptance she always feels in your home. And I still miss card nights, Halloween parties, and snow cones at the school. I pray that one day I can make the kind of difference your family has. Please know that my prayers (and tears) are with you in this great time of difficulty. Thank you for sharing your most challenging journey and your testimonies. ~Love, Laurie Jackson

Trista said...

You made me cry! Please know I still pray for your family every night and love you all so much!

Anonymous said...

Chris and Ricki,

I am so sorry to hear this. Words literally fail me. You guys are two of my oldest and dearest friends, and I value your friendship. Please add me to the long list of "If you need anything at all, just let me know" folks. You will be in our prayers.

Lewis and Kara Black

Aunt Wanda Wach said...

I wrote on this blog comment this morning, but I see it hasn't posted yet. I hope that it will. Our hearts are heavy and your strength will come from the core of your beliefs. Please read Alma 40: 11-12 for extra comfort. You are so special to all of us here in Southern California.
Love you much, Aunt Wanda Wach

Tammy said...

Chris and Ricki,

My heart goes out to your family! We are very blessed to have known Chris and your family...What a GREAT man. He has a special spirit and welcome Dave back to church with open arms and I am very gratefull for that. Ricki you are a wonderful person with a strong spirit. You and your sweet family are in our prayers.

Fleck Family said...

Chris and Ricki, my heart also breaks. There are so many times in life it seems that we think there is no way we can handle the trials placed before us. I know that alone we can't but God nothing is impossible. I know he will wrap his arms around you during this time and the rest of your children's lives. I will continue to pray for you.
Chris miss you I am glad I got the chance to get to know you better at work since we didn't run into each other that much in Hood River. You really are such a great example to all those around you.
-Helen

Tristen said...

I am so sorry for your family! We still think about you guys and will pray for you at this difficult time.
Ryan and Tristen Parsons

Just the 3 of us said...

Ricki, I met you way back when...I'm Katie Thomas' daughter. I worked with Chris at Verizon for a little bit also. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
~Lauren

Debby Brown said...

Chris & Ricki I don't know if you'll remeber me or not, but we were in the same ward over on Early Duke Street under Bishop Newell (Jim & Debby Brown). Kelly Allen emailed me your website. What can I say - I Love you guys with all my heart and you will be in my prayers and thoughts always. Sometimes, God gives us things that we wonder how we'll get through, but please know there are so many of us pulling for you out here. You know where we are if you need anything just yell over our way a little. Keep your chins up. May God Bless You.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris and Ricki,

We met last year with Phil and Liz Wach. I'm there Chinese granddaughter, Gretl. I'm so sorry to hear about this. Words failed me. All I can do is to keep you all in my prayers. May Heavenly Father help you all go through this together. You are never alone.

Genesis said...

My name is Genesis; I used to work with Chris at Verizon. I was so sad to hear about his cancer. I just wanted to share some information with him about a healing product I have become acquainted with. It is a natural product with no toxicity. People with cancer have had amazing results with this. I am not trying to sell you something, I just want to help Chris. If you would like to research this, go to amazingmolecules.com, then you can e-mail me if you want more information. My e-mail address is elijahsmommy123@gmail.com
My prayers are with you and your family. Please prayerfully consider this option.....