Friday, May 14, 2010

Wednesday night the Stake President came over and gave Chris a blessing then Chris gave me and the children each a blessing. It was a very special time. I of course couldn't stop crying especially when he gave me mine. Megan and her friend then went to the Temple.
Thursday morning Chris and I had a hard time getting to the chemo appointment. We just kept "dragging our feet" we left late and then stopped and got a soda at the gas station. As we pulled into the hospital we both sighed. . .
It was hard seeing everyone that we knew there and they were sad for us. Each told us how sorry they were. That after they saw us on Monday (me blubbering) they needed to find out what was happening. They adore Chris. Always so positive, uplifting and funny.
After we were settled Chris, my brother-in-law and I played cards. We brought back lunch for Chris and we were privileged to eat lunch with one of our "cruise buddies" We met her and her wonderful friends in the airport on the way to Tampa (she works at the hospital and has actually done some of Chris' tests-small world). Good times. Wonderful girls (I say "girls" because I'm old enough to be their "older sister" hee, hee).
Chris is taking Gemcitabine , Cisplatin, anti-nausea medicine and he had a bag of potassium (to help his liver). It's heart wrenching to watch the color of the skin change. And so quickly. He came in with pink skin and left with a sickly-yellow color. Not a good color on him:) After chemo we arrived home just in time to get Tay and Jacob from school. We decided to walk to the school not to far but uuuppphill from our house. What a trooper! Kids enjoyed walking home with him. A dear friend brought us dinner last night which was very nice. I figured I could handle making dinner - but it sure was nice just to "hang out" with everyone. Thank you. Thank you. It's amazing how tired you feel after just sitting in a chair all day.
This morning Tay asked me about "freezing" Chris, and then "unfreezing" him. How it might work. He asked me to buy some gold fish today so we could try it (no I haven't. I thought we'd use the cat-hee, hee I can hear some of you screaming right now, you know me and cats!!). He wants to know if after being frozen you can come back to life. Hey, I think I might get my scientist! I keep telling my children I need them to work on finding a cure for cancer. Too late for dad but they could save one of their siblings. They look at me and ask "which one?" Ahhh, sibling rivalry:)
Tomorrow we will show Tay and Rye how to mow the lawn so they can help us out. They are excited. Chris has always done it because he enjoys it. Gets mad if we do it. But I think it's about time that they learn and I will be standing there with the video camera as Chris teaches them.
Now that I've made myself cry.
Love, Ricki

3 comments:

Kristi said...

You're doing such a great job Ricki. You are documenting this all every step of the way. And someday you will look back and see how much you've learned and grown. Yes, you are a survivor. And really, so is Chris! He has fought this battle valiantly. We sure love you both!

Aunt Wanda Wach said...

As I remember back to 17 years ago this morning (May 16) at 3:56 a.m. when our Pamela Jean ended her struggle with cancer, and returned home from whence she came, I was trying to think of something I could say that would comfort you. The scripture suggested to me by Chris's mom, Liz, keeps coming to mind: Alma 40:11-12. Please read it. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you. Chris's upcoming 43rd birthday on May 22 will be a very special one for all of you. We will come and visit you sometime this summer. Love ang hugs to all, especialy our Chris.

Anonymous said...

You are still blessed with time to be able to talk and share the love you have with each other, and your family. Make every moment count. I didnt have the luxury to do this in my case. You have many friends who would love to talk to you and help you. Dont be afraid to call these friends. I pray for all of you every night. God bless

Monte