Saturday, May 8, 2010

Just so you know we decided not to find out until Monday. I didn't want the on-call doctor telling me I needed to wait until Monday (then it sounds like bad news), or the doctor tells us the results but can't tell us what the "plan of action" is (chemo, radiation ?) After we get the news we want to be able to make a plan of action, whatever that maybe. Don't leave us hanging! Thank goodness we have a very full weekend and I have such a bad sunburn on the back of my legs that all I can think about is how can I get rid of the pain - more spray, aloe, etc etc. Yes, I used sunscreen but last Saturday I was laying out on deck reading a book and I used the spray sunscreen which I now know "blew" away in the wind. The lady next to me got mad about my sunscreen hitting her, that should have been a clue to me that I didn't have sunscreen on. All week I put sunscreen on first in our cabin - no sunburn (I don't tan, only burn). It's been a miserable week. When I have to go somewhere I wear a skirt. And the cold air and getting in and out of the car just about do me in. I don't tolerate pain well.
For our 20th wedding anniversary we flew to Tampa, FL, boarded a Carnival ship and headed to Grand Cayman where we swam with the sting rays. I fed one (had to hold a piece of squid -ooooh) and the guide put it on my back. Then we went snorkeling. Then to Cozumel where we boarded another boat and went to Tulum to see the Mayan ruins. Next, Roatan where we had the most fun. We did 15 different zip lines through the jungle. Tonssss of fffuuun!!! I held a monkey for $2.00 :) and then we went to the beach where we swam and snorkeled. Last stop:( Belize where we went Cave Tubing. We had so much fun just being together. Being able to take a nap, staying up waaayyy late, getting our own food first, and hanging out with our other adult friends that we took with us and that we met on the ship. (Hope you still like us - hee, hee)
I tried a lot of new foods. That's ONE fun thing about cruises is trying foods that you would never try because of the cost and worry that you wouldn't like it. Which for me would have been a lot of foods. I'm a Food Network junkie so it was fun trying foods that I've heard/seen them using but wasn't into dishing out the money to try them. Wasabi is "nasty" and I don't think I will ever like sushi, lobster bisque, shrimp, the big never again "Escargot" can you believe it?! I tried a SNAIL! Ahhhh ..... I did like Talapia because it doesn't really have a flavor:) Chris and I despise fish!
My dear, sweet, wonderful mother (she definitely deserves a nice mothers day) babysat my wonderful children for 9 days. Thanks Mom, you're absolutely, positively, wonderful!!!!
Thank you so much to everyone who has been praying for our family. This may sound dumb but I seriously felt the prayers, I felt comforted about leaving my children and that Chris would be able to enjoy himself. Which he did. Can you image missing one of those excursions because you were sick? It would have been awful! (and most of the excursions didn't have a bathroom close by or you had to pay to use it). Prayer is a powerful thing. Whatever happens Monday I know Heavenly Father will help us through.
Enjoy your weekend. Happy Mother's Day, to all women!!! Those of you who don't have children of your own remember you do make a difference in other children's lives! (my childrens teachers:)
Love ya. Ricki

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cruising is so much fun. Kat and I took a cruise down to Cozumel in April ... no excursions though. We'll be taking the kids with us this summer on a cruise to Peurto Vallarta.

I'm glad you guys had a good time. Our prayers are still with you. Love you guys.

Ryan and Kathryn Ockey and family.

mbeck said...

So glad you had the chance to "cruise" and have some wonderful time with each other. You are an amazing family, and our prayers are with you every day. I'll be very anxious to know how things go today. Our whole family loves you and your wonderful example! Love, Mary Ann and David Beck (and the Sievers kids)

Aung Wanda Wach said...

My heart goes out to you as I just read the latest blog on the diagnosis I feared....terminal cancer. You are in the shock stage, then will come the acceptance and dealing with it stage, although you have already bravely started that. My experience with Pam's cancer led me to know that the only way to get through it was through the tools of the Gospel that we have and the knowledge that it wasn't truly the "end". Please read Alma 40:11-12. Liz sent that suggestion to me when I was preparing for Pam's passing, and it was the best scripture that I continue to suggest to others who are passing. And, the Holy Ghost will prop Chris up , as well as comfort all of you in ways you can't imagine. When it is time for Chris to move on, he will be ready for the next chapter in his life because he has had the blessing of having time to prepare, and he will be tired of the fight and it will be "time". The harder part will be the children...my heart breaks for them. We love you all dearly, and will be visting you sometime this summer.