Wednesday, May 5, 2010

We are back from our cruise. We had tonnnss of funnn! Chris did a great job, he was able to go on all of the excursions. Every morning we "drugged" him up and then he was great all day. Saturday which was a sea day he was sick and Monday he was reeallly sick (thank goodness he had taken it off). Tuesday Chris went in for his PET scan, ultrasound and biopsy. I have been reading up on the PET scan, it stands for P- Positron, E- Emission, T- Tomography. I copied a paragh from an article I read so that you can know how it works - pretty amazing! "In cancer, cells begin to grow at a much faster rate, feeding on sugars like glucose. PET works by using a small amount of a radioactive drug called a tracer in combination with a compound such as glucose. Once you are injected with the tracer and glucose, the tracer travels through your body. it emits signals as it travels and eventually collects in the organs targeted for examination. If an area in an organ is cancerous, the signals will be stronger since more glucose will be absorbed in those areas." Chris drank the medicine they gave him and then 45 minutes later he went and laid down with his hands over his head for about another 45 minutes. After that test he went and they did an ultrasound on his shoulder where the lump is. Then they numbed his shoulder where the lump was and took samples from different lumps. They took 5 samples. The Doctor said that Chris was his best patient. Too many people freak out about the length of the needle:) The test results should be done by Friday but our doctor is out of town until Monday. I may call the doctor-on-call and see if he'll tell me anything, but I don't know if I want to know over the phone.
Love, Ricki

1 comment:

Aunt Wanda said...

Oh, my. Time to add Chris and you to our everyday prayers. I just had a feeling that I needed to check your blog tonight. I will anxiously be awaiting the results.

Where did you two cruise for your anniversary? I am so glad you could do that and that he stayed well most of the time.
Love and Prayers,
Aunt Wanda