Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Another lousy day. He threw up again but this time it was just bile because they had taken him off of all liquids. Only 15 ice chips an hour. Dr. Ott also ordered another abdominal x-ray. Again he hardly walked and didn’t make small talk with anyone. We’re back to no TV, but at least the temperature in the room is a warm 65 (ha, ha). We also learned how to use a diabetes monitor, test strips, needles, insulin etc. I told my children that we will be learning a lot. They want his blood tested 3 times during the night when he comes home. That is when he will eat through his feeding tube. He has 12 hours to eat. They will be giving him 2200 calories. The feeding bag only holds four cups at a time so during the night we will need to add to the bag 3 times (and check his insulin). I’m not sure when we are suppose to sleep:) Chris again was not well enough for the kids to come up. I had some of them talk to him on the phone. Sorry, I didn’t write last night but Ryan fell off the monkey bars at some friends house and fell on his head!!! If you’ll remember Ryan spent 5 days in ICU in May of last year for head trauma. So we watched him. He has a large goose egg on the back of his head. He cried a lot but I believe he is doing ok (he didn’t take off his clothes and run around the neighborhood, and he remembered who I was:) It’s all good I’m bored during the day laying on the hospital sofa, reading magazines and sipping Dr. Pepper (Ahh, the life of a caregiver). I’ve had to stop scrap booking because I kinked my neck some how, so it hurts to look down. I did get 32 pages done before I hurt my neck. (only 4 more years to go till I'm finished with Jacob's book - he, he) We love you all. Take care. Love, Ricki

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ricki-Thank you for taking the time to keep us all updated. I have been lucky to work with Chris since he started here and we all want him to get better. I can only imagine how difficult this is for you and your kids. I think about Chirs and your family everyday. Every time I walk by his desk I send out best wishes. Please send Chris my wishes and if I can help with your sweet kids I live right down the street I am happy to help.
Nichol Carson
VZW Friend

Anonymous said...

It is emotionally painful to hear of Chris's suffering, and of your distress at watching it. May these days turn a corner where he gets rid of much, if not all, of the pain, and is able to go home and be with his beloved family. xoxoxoxxoxo

Danni said...

Ricki - Please know that your family and Chris are in our prayers. We look forward to the day that this is all over and Chris is home with you and your family and able to see us in church. We love you and love the example that your family has shown us.

Morgan family

Sorensen's said...

Hey Ricki, sounds like you've got yourself another baby! J/K Hope all goes well and you are able to take your "baby" home with you.
Love, Emily :)

PS love the pics, they're gorgeous!