Tuesday, March 10, 2009




Chris had a really rough day today. He was in a lot of pain. They gave him pain medicine every hour. He walked around the surgical floor three times during the day but it was really hard on him. Dr. Ott drew this picture for me so that I could explain better to all of you what he did to Chris:) The drawing on the (forget the side picture Meg and I messed up, I'm just learning:) far left is a drawing of Chris' insides now. Liver (the large one on top), pancreas (dash lines), stomach (looks like flower vase), and the small intestine. The one on the right is what Chris' insides looked like when they opened him up. The circle is where the very large ulcer was and the up and down lines are where the doctor cut each organ. Hope it helps. The nutritionist came and talked with us. She said that it was a good sign that Chris did not have a permanent feeding bag sticking out his side. That we will be feeding him through the tube in his nose for awhile and then get him on food before he leaves the hospital. They also continued to give him insulin. Dr. Ott came in twice during the day to check on Chris. He said that the pathology report was back. Out of 16 lymph nodes one was cancerous. That there was cancer in the ampulary valve and that they were going to send his pathology report to a different research facility out of state to get a better reading because his test showed that he had THREE different cancers!!!! (stomach, small intestine and pancreatic). Which is unheard of. He said that that would take a week. Oh…and on the way to the hospital I got rear ended:) Not bad, no one hurt. I just have white paint on my bumper. It’s all good! LOL. Love, Ricki

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish they could put Chris on morphine with a push button to increase it every 10 min. That's how I got through my knee surgery. Maybe they can't for some reason. I am sure the pain is tremendous considering all they did to him. Thank you for the explanations. I just want his pain to go away....

Anonymous said...

Three different cancers, eh? I knew Chris was competitive but I didn't think he'd take on three at once! (LOL)

I'm glad to hear that things are proceeding in positive direction. I'd like to find a time in the next few days to come out and visit for a bit. I'm registering kids for school after work today and tomorrow but may be able to get there Friday or Saturday. You remain in our prayers.

Ryan & Kathryn Ockey and family

Azaelia said...

I'm glad to hear that your alright. I hope Brother Wach is going to be alright.

Morgan Family

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled to hear the update and so glad to have found your blog. Hang in there for all the ups and downs. Lots of Love and Prayers! -Mindy Brown and Family

rrwach said...

Keep fighting Chris.
Channel your pain to the many games ahead where the Jazz get beat by the Lakers.

Cousin Rob