Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Yesterday morning I had Taylor say the prayer and in his prayer he thanked Heavenly Father for helping the doctors let his daddy live longer. That was the beginning and end of the "I'm not going to cry today" line that I tell myself every morning . Chris still continues to be in a lot of pain. He had to give himself insulin again. Katie and I went and worked in Jacob's classroom. Jacob's teacher is so kind to let me bring Katie when I need too. I don't like to leave Chris home alone for too long but I also know he could use a little quiet time without Katie and I. Ryan had basketball practice after school and a choir concert later that night. It was a crazy evening. I had Megan take care of everything here at home (bathing Katie, getting Tay off to scouts, helping dad with his medicines and feeding tube), while my mom and I went to Rye's choir concert. For dinner I made hamburgers. It was a stupid thing to do but I didn't have much time to do anything else. I tortured Chris pretty good with the smell, because he decided to try eating one. Not much, small bites, chewed well. I tried to tell him that it wasn't a good idea, but for all of you that know Chris "he will decide what is best for him:)." When I walked in the door from the choir concert all the kids came running to tell me that daddy had thrown up the hamburger. I guess we know that the stomach isn't working :( The garage isn't set up yet because its sooo cold outside. Tonight I will figure out something. I can't watch him be sad because he now knows that for sure his stomach isn't working. (I would like to tell him that he should probably start with pudding or something a little less fatty, but- I won't). I just can't even imagine what he is feeling inside not being able to eat. It breaks my heart. Love, Ricki

7 comments:

Azaelia said...

Ricki, I'm so sorry about how Chris is doing. Please let my family and me know if there's anything we can do to help.

Love
Audrey Morgan

Anonymous said...

Ricky,
I am so sorry, couldn't even imagine... Taylor's prayer made us ( I and Chuck ) cry. We are thinking of you guys everyday. And praying for pain you guys all going through. If we could all share Chris' pain he would have a lot less left for him... There are a lot of people love you all...

Wilkinsons said...

Poor Chris!! I try to go 1 day without eating chocolate and sugar and usually fail. I can't imagine not being able to eat whatever and whenever I want.

So, I've been thinking a lot about your eating in the garage idea. I found a heater (from a friend) and he says that he used it to heat his garage and it worked great. I also have an old microwave and a hotplate. Are you interested?? We can bring it up Saturday.

Cindy Wilkinson

Anonymous said...

Hang in there!... Find comfort in this quote: "In almost all patients the stomach function returns to normal after this 4 to 6 week period after the surgery..." (is that comforting? I don't know LOL!) I'd think it'd be harder for a Wach kid to go without a Pepsi than a hamburger. Try feeding the family strawberries, bacon, and gravy, and see if Chris really wants some!
Seriously though, we love you guys and hope that things improve soon (alas, 4 to 6 weeks! ERG).
the cliffordclan

Anonymous said...

Ricki-
This is a crappy way to catch up with an old friend. I take a class with Ruth Bell and she forwarded me the info on your blog spot- I had no idea what was going on in your world. I miss you and your wonderful family. You were so influential in my life and I loved all the hours we worked together in PTA (and our five minutes of fame with Brent Hunsaker). I am still involved at my kids new school (School Community Council and PTA) partly because of your great example of what a mother could do to help her kids and be involved with their education. Chris is such a good guy- you guys have been through a lot and I can only think that there has to be some great reward for all that you've had to face. Please let me know what I can do. I would love to take you to lunch and catch up. I will think lots of good thoughts for all of you.

Jenny Koller and family

Aunt Wanda Wach said...

I am wondering if Chris could eat baby food..seriously. I know that some friends who have had stomach gastric bypass surgery to lose weight started out on baby food before graduating to more solid foods. Just wondering... I remember that some of the baby food I fed my kids tasted pretty goood...one spoonful for Robbie, one for Mommmy, etc. If Chris is so hungry for food (and well he should be after weeks of not eating), baby foods might be might tasty. xoxoxoxo

Wilkinsons said...

I hear that the Hawaiian Delight baby food is yummy. My sister still buys it and her baby is 3. That may be a good idea - I use the sneaky chef idea and sometimes dump a jar into something that I'm making for dinner...
Let us know if you need anything!!